New to the modeling world.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to the modeling world.

ok so im a total noob when it comes to modeling and skinning and creating the animation rigs, etc...

so i want to create the characters for my game, and i need to know the line to follow in the creating process , like a step by step guide , i know that i need to learn to model characters ok, but let's suppose that i already finished my character ,how to create the bone structure for the model so i can use it in udk,(i guess that's the animation rig), how to name the bones and all of that stuff, and then how to create the animations for the character and finally how to import the complete character with everything on it to UDK.

Any tutorials or help would be appreciated. thanks!

not trying to be mean but have you tried google? .. you need to understand basic rigging before you move into brining it into udk

Comment

well i made a model sometime ago using milkshape, and also made the skeleton for this model, and then the animations, so i have the main idea, but don't know if it's gonna be like the same process

Comment

the work flow depends a lot on the 3d prog your using, also do you need to use a custom rig, if not try using the UT3 rig

Comment

i've just downloaded the file UT3_Male and im looking at him to understand how the character it's done, i need something like a step by step tutorial on how to create my character in 3ds max.

as far as i know i ned to do this:
          1. delete the meshes from the UT3_Male model
          2. start creating mines
          3. skin the model
          4. divide the model in parts and assign each part to the corresponging bone

please help me fill these steps and fix the mistakes, i need like understand the global idea to start working step by step on this.

Comment

1. delete the meshes from the UT3_Male model don't forget to unhide all then delete

2. start creating mines (uvw map + 2 textures)

3. skin the model :- use the b_ bones not the bip_ bones

4. divide the model in parts and assign each part to the corresponging bone NOOOOO, that was the UT3 way, for UDK use a single mesh

Comment

ok thanks for that! =)

Comment

ok so im right now at step 3, can someone explain me how to do this:

skin the model :- use the b_ bones not the bip_ bones

and also how to assign the mesh to each bone.

thanks.

Comment

Look for a modifier called "skin". And as Geodav said, apply the b_bones not the bip_bones. There should be a button called Add, it's pretty straight forward. Once you have done that, you need to weight the bones accordingly to get a smooth bend went you move the bones and what not.

If you are still unsure how to do this, google has plenty of tutorials on this subject.

Hope this helps!

Comment

i'm sure i mentioned it in one of the video's but that might have been a weapon or vehicle video, it does show my workflow

Comment

Looking over the UTMale max file.
                      geodav; you say that the skeleton (bone structure) is the same for UDK, but UDK uses a single mesh instead of the segmented way that the instructions show on the UDN page: http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/UT3CustomCharacters.html

If the skeletal structure is the same, then we should be able to use it to create custom animations (just the art portion I know) with that file...both male and female?

Comment

@Raenz afaik the animations just take the bone rotation solong as the rig is scaled the anims should work, which is why the anim work with both male and female riggs

Comment

Originally posted by geodav View Post
                          @Raenz afaik the animations just take the bone rotation solong as the rig is scaled the anims should work, which is why the anim work with both male and female riggs
                          Ah, sweet. Thanks for the reply. I was just wondering if the bone names and hierarchy structure were the same for that rig set up in the UDN max file (UT3 I assume) and the current UDK build. Sounds like it is.

Thanks.

Comment

I found this tutorial very useful for modeling and making the bone structure. http://www.3dtotal.com/ffa/tutorials...c/joanmenu.php

Also it is very handy to see a pro at work good luck!

Comment

Working...
                            X