Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lightmass UV issues

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Lightmass UV issues

    Hi all,

    I looked for anything about this error, but I don't think I found any. Please correct me if I missed it.

    I'm getting very strange results when I render LightMass on an object that has been UV unwrapped (chanel 2) in 3ds Max, and then ASE exported.

    Please see the attached image.




    The unwrapping was done with the Unwrap UVW - Pack UV's tool. This breaks up the UV surface into many different chunks and packs them quite efficiently. Though it does break almost every poly away from just about any other.

    Anyway, as you can see from the attached image, the resulting shadow is a total mess. Can anyone suggest what I'm doing wrong?

    Thanks,

    Clamps

    #2
    Fixed

    I figured out that it was a couple of settings in UDK that I'd neglected.

    Clamps

    Comment


      #3
      try using just one UV channel and then use UDKs "generate unique UVs".. just to see whats causing the error..

      Comment


        #4
        How huge the static mesh is? Looks way too big and inefficient.

        Comment


          #5
          Each floor is a separate mesh, and each room inside is a separate mesh. I'm sick of individually exporting all the fracking mesh's, but it's as efficient as I know how to make it.

          Though if you have any advice, please let me know.

          Clamps

          Comment


            #6
            try larger lightmap resolution and see if it makes any different

            Comment


              #7
              also, bear in mind the size in pixels that such small UV segments are going to be (for example if you are using a lightmap of 1024 some of those smaller bits on your UV are going to be seeing like 3x1 pixels). Rather than using an autounwrap, try a quick auto then shuffling around and scaling up where you can...if the lightmap is lower resolution then you are likely to see corruption from nearby pieces on your UV.

              From my experience, it's quick and dirty to use the editors uv2 unwrap, but best practice is to hand unwrap to ensure highest resolution efficiency.

              Comment


                #8
                Just a suggestion... Look for polys inside your mesh that are shadowing onto the outside polys of the mesh.

                I have a similar problem. It seems like the dominant directional lights just kinda slam their way ignorantly through all polygons shadowing each polygon as if it has unobstructed exposure to the light. If there's a setting to handle this intelligently, I don't what that is. Might have something to do with single sided polys or just the way dominant lights don't know when or where to stop.

                Suggestion: We need a tutorial on dominant lights and shadows. The videos and tutorials I've dug up are way too skimpy on this subject.

                ??Clamps?? how did that help?

                Comment


                  #9
                  Hi all,

                  Bobreg, thanks for the advice. However I don't think that's the problem. I've found that the way the "Pack UVs" tool makes a mess of the polys. I've found that I have to re-attach any edges that have been separated.

                  I've solved that particular problem, but there's lots of niggling issues. Long thin shadows that have no caster, that kind of thing. I'm working on it though. I think a lot of it's due to sloppy moddeling. I'll post a screenshot of how it looks when it's corrected.

                  Clamps

                  Comment


                    #10
                    i have to agree with bobreg

                    a simple pack uvs should never be your final uv output

                    personally my method it to hide all and unhide and unwrap piece by piece and then when all pieces are efficiently unwrapped i pack the uvs to get a good start on placement but i don't publish until i go through and re weld all seems that will be too apparent in game and find matching islands that can be stacked and whatever other methods i can come up with to create space to scale everything up

                    remember that the more texture space any given part of the model is able to make use of the better the quality is going to be

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X