Obj (Ase, Collada) model import?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i've the same problem, but, testing and testing, but i can't get out :-\
    i've exported the mesh from Max in .3ds format without mapping, and materials information
    then i've reimported it in max, i've bouble checked the vertex and then i've mapped it again just with UVMap (a simple plane) no material information.
    .... but this is the resoult in Mesh Edit.

Comment

Why not just export as a PSK?

Comment

until now i've used Collada format and works fine and now i can't undrestand now i've got this problem :-\

i'll try PSK

Comment

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/ActorX.html

Was referring to the ASE problems exporting above.

Comment

when i import the mesh with actorX the problem is the same, looks like an hoverlapped faces but there isn't... importing the mesh with actorx it say that there isn't any physic.. maybe i've got the source of the problem

and in game the mesh is totaly missing (but the shadow) O_o

Comment

could you attach a mesh please. Ill see if i can get it exporting cleanly

Comment

here is the max 2010 file
                and here is the DAE file

isn't the most perfect mesh, but should work and i wonder why when i import it collada messed up all arcs and multply the poligons :-\

Comment

I could not download your files. But I do have a question. I get the same problems exporting with MAX.

Is the ASE export in Max from the filemenu (File>export) the same as the ActorX? In XSI I get a menu stating StaticMesh export, but in Max I just get an export. I think those errors are because it is not the format UDK is looking for in the ASE file, not something we are doing wrong?

Comment

ok.. I have tried for the past couple of hours exporting a simple 1x1x1 Cube from MAX to UDK and I get the same error no matter what I try. Doing the same thing in XSI produces no errors - so not sure exactly how to setup a MAX file for simple static meshes.

Comment

as far as i tryed i've learned a pair of stuffs...
                      1st, you can import small stuff, half wall, a window, a chair but in any case, you can't build and export directly an entire build (something like an entire castle) 'cause the collision will not be calculated in a correct way, or, at least i can't find a way -.-

second
                      the exact size from centimenters to unreal unit system is 2.54, then set your grid by a multiple of 2 and your 16x16x16 cube in max will be 16x16x16 in UDK

the best way to export a mesh from max to udk is ASE (ascii format file)
                      then you have to setup the collision from the editor.

in any case here what happen to my mesh by exporting from Max to DAE

Comment

Its not the size of the mesh. It looks like from your original mesh you may have (or should say) t-vertices and other issues. When modeling for games you have to turn those corners into polygons. If that mesh around the front arches is correct, it needs to be cut and have some more polys added to it.

I checked my model as well and noticed it had 799 t-vertices that must be cleaned up. Also, that does not explain why a simple cube can not be exported from MAX to UDK.

Comment

sure you can export cube from max to udk,
                          (take a look http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V-L2eCupcA)

the problem coming when you have convex faces and you need collision.
                          using actorX i've imported the building correctly, but the collsion "pivot" (created automatically) blocked the entry
                          that's why i think we need to separate the arch, made a prefab and the assebly the build in UDK from scratch

Comment

Working...
                          X