Obj (Ase, Collada) model import?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obj (Ase, Collada) model import?

I have all game models in *.obj format and want move my project into UDK, but in Content Browser i cant import *.obj . How is best way to fix it?

convert them to ASE

Comment

Problem with Ase

I have problem with Ase.

Generated / Imported vertex count ration 23327/13884 exceeds expected percentage (68.1 vs- 25.200 percent expected)

And materials not be imported with model.

Comment

I believe that your scene has so much vertex. You must optimize it before to export/import it. ( ''23327/13884 exceeds expected percentage'' )

Just.... try to delete several object in the scene, or use an auto-optimize (I know you can find that in XSI, and 3ds max but I do not remember where in this last software).
        I am not really sure, but I think I have made the right translation.

Keep on touch about this problem

Comment

Materials are completely different resources than models. Import the related textures separately and create corresponding materials before importing your model.

Comment

The Vertex Ratio refers to the number of extra verts added to the mesh by extra mapping channels, Uv verts, and smoothing groups. Not the level of detail of the geometry.

What program are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by rfletchr View Post
              The Vertex Ratio refers to the number of extra verts added to the mesh by extra mapping channels, Uv verts, and smoothing groups. Not the level of detail of the geometry.

What program are you using?
              Ah okkk
              Thanks for these details. I can not use UDK for the moment but I suppose I will see these informations when it will be the time xD

Comment

I am the designer, but my 3D modeler exports the models used Max 2010. We tried too Collada, but we found the problem, too, the model is divided in addition to 5 different parts, so we use the nodes, but we want to model as a whole. Uses OpenCollada exporter.

Maybe give me some step by step tutorial. I worked with Unity game engin a import was very easy and lots of supported formats.

Comment

I searching here on forum and at beyondunreal, lots of users have these problems and solution anywhere?

Comment

could elaborate on what you mean by split into 5 parts? does it import a 5 seperate models in the content browser or is it spit into 5 seperate material regions?
                    Have you explicitely set your material ID's to 1, Max quite often adds material ID's to polygon groups and you end up with lots of IDs in a model which will only present a problem when you export or put a multisub object material on it.

Have you tried exporting a simple mesh like a simple box first, does it suffer the same problems?

Comment

I imported 1 collada model (with juctions) and but UDK split it in 5 models.

If this video is good way how import model with materials, so UDK import is hell.
                      http://www.moddb.com/company/little-black-planet/videos

Industry standart is import in one minute with materials, this is too big price for Unreal material editor.

Have hundreds of static meshes, if we will very import 10 minuts, we lost lots of time. Small edition of meshes will also problem. Time is money.

Biggest advantage of collada is user data (open XML structure) and include physic, but i think so UDK collada import is very poor and ignor and physic data (good for sound, every piece of material have else sound, mast, gravitational centre atd..)

Comment

Originally posted by RuThaN View Post
                        I have problem with Ase.

Generated / Imported vertex count ration 23327/13884 exceeds expected percentage (68.1 vs- 25.200 percent expected)

Can anyone elaborate on the problem Ruthan was having? I've run in to the same (my problem is when importing .ase):

Comment

I think like rfletchr said, you have something extra in there. Perhaps you have:
                          an extra UV channel ...
                          a modifier or multi-resolution that hasn't been applied ...
                          a hidden object ...
                          a badly named collision model ???

Comment

O just ignore it. It does not look like it change something in game.

Comment

Dont ignore it, it wastes ram.

Try to keep your uv layouts as optimal as you can, for every uv Island you create the border vertices have to be represented multiple times in memory.

Try to be frugal with smoothing groups. often if you are normal mapping its actually optimal to use only 1 smoothing group and let the normal map do the work (this is the ideal situation) This method require more polygons to achieve nice smoothing but the end result is much better and polygon budgets are getting much more relaxed these days.

make sure you are only exporting 2 UV channels Channel 1 for texture and channel 2 for lightmaps. If you using max you can use the 'Channel Info' utility to see what channels are on your mesh. Channels with ID: Map above 2 are more than likely unneeded. they can be removed with a 'uvw mapping clear' modifier.

I dont know why that tutorials says to export vertex colours its not essential

Comment

Working...
                              X