max poligons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

max poligons?

How much poligons can be in model to import in UDK?

Many.
    This question is not relevant because nobody would waste so many polygons on one model...

Comment

30 000 polygons for a car to much?

Comment

http://www.hourences.com/book/tutorialsue3modeling2.htm

Comment

I don't know if you can, but 30,000 is overkill. Remember, this is going to be rendered in realtime. The engine is made to take advantage of high poply models, but not like that. Make a low poly version, and use the high and low together to generate a normal map. You'd be amazed at how good it will look with a good normal map combined, of course, with a good diffuse and specular map.

Comment

First post, but figured I would add my 2 cents.

While 30,000 seems like alot at first most Car based games are using 70,000+ models of cars. I remember the Gran Tourismo Lead saying they are using 100,000 tri models for both exterior and interior of their cars in the GT5. I believe that the original Project Gotham for the original Xbox had cars using 10,000-15,000 triangles. So to me, 30,000 isn't out of the question, especially if the tri's are being used to describe the shapes needed to bring the car to life.

Anyway, HI!

Comment

Originally posted by Quackles View Post
              First post, but figured I would add my 2 cents.

Anyway, HI!
              First of all, welcome. Second, are you sure they weren't just talking about their high poly version? I agree that 30,000 isn't too absurd, but why waste the CPU/GPU on a car, unless it's a focal point? The high poly characters for Gears of War had around 3,000,000 polys, but that isn't what's in game.

Comment

you need to find the max poly limit that the engine can render per frame etc and then work out a poly budget for each mesh. Thirty thousand polys for a car may not sound alot . . But how many cars are their on screen at a time, how many trackside objects are their etc etc . . These all need a poly budget too if your going to maintain framerate . . . Then theirs materials etc etc

Comment

Originally posted by Lipton View Post
                  How much poligons can be in model to import in UDK?
                  This depends on the model and game.

Average Characters=12-15 tris (1 polygon = 2 tris )

Comment

UDK won't import anything above 65,000 polys properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Bersy View Post
                      UDK won't import anything above 65,000 polys properly.
                      Because directX don't supported more then 65.000 polys, as far as I know, ore not?

Comment

Originally posted by Lipton View Post
                        Because directX don't supported more then 65.000 polys, as far as I know, ore not?
                        You're not right.

Comment

don't know as i've never tried
                          but the 65,000 limit sound like the Softimage (XSI) mod tool limit

Comment

Polygon Limit? I'm laughing

I have 2.000.000 Polys in this Scene, alle dynamically lit AND shadowed and I have no, really no performance issues. I have the same Framerate as within an empty scene.
                            And my machine isn't highend at all.

Comment

Nice, now can we see it with 2,600,040 polies?

Comment

Working...
                              X