Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A deal for a XSI free?

Hi.

I've read somewhere that there's a deal between Autodesk and an another game engine: You can use a special free license of xsi with all functionalities, except that you can only use your creations for this engine (and probably you can export in another format if you open it in a 'normal' xsi).
    -> Is it possible to have the same thing for UDK?

I know that few things exist for Blender, but I tried to learn it many times, and I can't stand the user panel, definitively. And the method is not perfect.

I've read there's something for Maya, but it's for old versions of Unreal, I think. Am I wrong?

So, if nothing exists, well, it would be great to have a deal with Autodesk (for XSI or Maya) for a free limited-to-UDK license.

That's my point,
    Teto.

Not Autodesk had the deal, but Softimage (original manufacturer of XSI), which has just recently (approx. a year ago) been aquired by Autodesk.

Just like Alias Wavefront (Maya manufacturer, back then a subdivision of Avid technologies), was aquired by Autodesk. Since Autodesk owned Alias Wavefront (and dropped the name, to only keep Maya), the PLE (personal learning edition, free) version of Maya, that had been introduced by Alias Wavefront, has been discontinued by Autodesk.

I'm not sure that version you refer too, is still available for download. (see PLE note earlier)

I guess you're out of options here.

Comment

you can use xsi mod tool which works with the official actorx plugin but your not allowed to sell the models/meshes you make with it.

Comment

Yeah Softimage Modtool 7.5 is available at autodesk.com in the Softimage section, which is basically a free Softimage 7.5 (formally known as XSI)

Autodesk did have GMax which was basically a free 3DMax for certain games and engines but that's now defunct.

Comment

Thanks everyone, I'll try XSI!

Teto.

Comment

Sorry for my stupid question: ActorX seems to be for XSI 6.5. I downloaded 7.5 (and I can't download older versions).
            -> ActorX is usable with XSI 7.5?

Teto.

Comment

try and find out

Comment

Before Autodesk acquire XSI there were a really cheap version of this fantastic software for 500$ and, if I'm not wrong, the version was called Foundation...
                After that, this version was deleted, so now you can only choose between 2 different products, between 1.500 and 3.000 $...a very stupid move from Autodesk, the 500$ version was limited, but, unless your work is to develop games character, you could actually do almost everything...

Regards your question, the only "kind of" agreement is between XSI and XNA ( game engine ), so you can download and install a plugin to develop your games with XSI and run them with your pc or publish them in the XboxLive community, but you can't sell it, unless you pay.

Regards the 6.5 version plugin, I succesfully installed it in Softimage 2010, it works fine with static meshes if exported in .ase or .dae, with .psk I'm always having crashes while I try to import into UDK...animation not tried yet...

Comment

Working...
                X