No announcement yet.

Exporting XSI to ActorX.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To help clear up my problem is I have a fantasy tavern I am trying to import
    Nothing real difficult But I want to be able to textue the different peices as
    exporting and importing already textured doesnt work. I am trying to fig out
    how to export this 1 asset and have access to it's many peices in UDK so i
    can texure it.

Polix

Comment

You have to create the material clusters first... it would also help if each piece is unwrapped first and packed to maximum texture space.

so for each plane, give it a planar map... they can overlap... which is okay... but the important thing is, the whole object can now be composed of 3 materials.

I find this useful on stuff like hero characters and vehicle models. here are some screenshots that will show my point. Notice how, i created my clusters first on the separate meshes before i merged them...

On static meshes, i would not even trying to do it...because the UV's need their own space for lightmapping

Comment

Cool!It is very usefull for me!

Comment

Got that to work but it isn't practical for a house with say 50-100 peices.
          Have any idea on how I can import it as 1 object that allows me to assign
          a mat to each and every peice ?

Comment

Well, yes, you would have top merge the pieces into one mesh and have each piece in its own texture space (and create clusters). But you are right...something like that is not practical. I would save this technique for stuff like hero characters, like in gears of war. Marcus Fenix is two pieces.

Comment

So how do you get buildings you built in XSI into UDK and put the mats in the right position and orientation? Some of our buildings are large but most are small. It is very
              hard to beleive that EPIC has fubar'd this critital part. There has to be a smooth way
              to do this in the artist pipeline.

Comment

I will find this out on my next project...I am working on an arena and it will make great use of tilelable textures. I will have to show you guys how I do it

Comment

Part of the issue you will have to get around is building the buildings with the BSP brushes

Comment

woot thank you, looking forward to seeing how to get it done.

Comment

If it can help I did this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMTXO2QCi90

Working for Architectural Visualization in UDK is a bit tricky, because the engine give it best with "dirt" settings, and to achieve a good visual result it will take a bit, right now I'm just testing which can be a good workflow for import the meshes and work with UDK...

I figured out that right now the best way to have nicer results, especially if you import large buildings with lots of details inside, is to create the interiors walls ( and if you can outside as well ) using BSP geometry, mainly because BSP geometry looks much nicer that imported geometry, especially the behaviour of the materials is better with them...

If you're using Lightmass and ambient occlusion you'll gonna have huge problems due to the geometry structure, UV and materials that react ( don't know why ) in a different way of different meshes, so unless your geometry is almost perfect, you're going to have problems...it works fine with more complicated objects ( tested on tables, chairs, couch sets, and is fine... )

Anyway if I make some good progress with my experiments I'll upload some tutorials about that

Comment

That is a nice video...i would love to find out how to properly get animated models... XSI is my main package to work with...

Comment

Originally posted by NeptuneImaging View Post
                          That is a nice video...i would love to find out how to properly get animated models... XSI is my main package to work with...
                          Thanks, just for a trial I downloaded the U3male.,ax that you can find in the documentation and I would like to do some experiment with that...
                          What I mean is that you can export all your properties between 3d max and XSI using Crosswalk, so basically if is working properly in 3ds is gonna work inside XSI.
                          I still have a couple of trial days for 3ds so I'm going to try if is working and, if it will work, you can be sure that I'll share something

And, to see which one works best, I will use .ASE and .DAE, let's hope that both of them works properly!

Comment

Let me know if that works... i am redoing my character model so that I can use my own rig...

Comment

RT that was very close to what I want to do, Now if you did an export after you did
                              the Freeze Transform would the WHOLE floor with assets come in as it is in XSI?
                              And would it be ready to apply the mat's to the different peices of the clustered assets?

Comment

Originally posted by polix View Post
                                RT that was very close to what I want to do, Now if you did an export after you did
                                the Freeze Transform would the WHOLE floor with assets come in as it is in XSI?
                                And would it be ready to apply the mat's to the different peices of the clustered assets?
                                To be sure that your geometry is correctly sized just unhide all your meshes in your scene ( of course, after you are sure that you're scene is properly scaled ), select all of them and choose Transform>Freeze all transform, this will reset the transforms for all the objects in your scene, so you do that once, you don't need to think about that anymore.

About the materials, I'm not sure I get the question, but if you setup the clusters for your meshes you're ok ( doesn't matter if you hit the freeze transform button previously or after you did the clusters ).
                                The main problem with materials is that you have different materials on your mesh, but this doesn't mean that the settings that you had in XSI are the same when you import the geometry into UDK, because is the material that gives all the information to your mesh.
                                This mean that, once you import the mesh into UDK, you have the ability to assign to each piece a different material, but you have to setup manually their properties ( texture coordinates aka tilling, normal maps, and so on... )

So right now when you export a mesh from XSI you'll have only a mesh, but not the material, so for each material that you want to create you need to import all the textures you need...this is really time consuming, I really hope that the guys from Epic will do an update version of ActorX with this features!

@NeptuneImaging: working right now, but I think that next year I'll check the results!

Happy new year

Edit: I just tried to import a biped dude from 3ds, it will recognize all the animations, but the main problem is that XSI doesn't recognize biped bones but only nulls, so if I run the animation the only thing you see are some nulls moving...that's it...

Comment

Working...
                                X