weapons with info display

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    no, a single mesh can have many different materials applied to it. and because each material is different, it doesnt matter if the UVs from a part with one material are completely different or overlap materials from another.

you can have a cube with 6 materials, one for each side, with the uv for each side covering the whole texture sheet. using a multi/subobject material in max enaables you to set up multiple materials on a mesh, each submaterial in the multisub *responds* to a different material ID - polies set to mat id1 will only display material 1, polies with mat id 2 will only respond to material 2 etc etc.

you apply the multi/sub mat to the whole object and it will respond to all the dif mat ids in the model geometry. i dont know the upper limit to the amount of materials you can have on one mesh but we've done meshes with over 10 mats before. the downside is that the renderer makes a seperate pass to draw each material, so its the gpu hit equivalent of drawing all the polies in your mesh * the number of materials it has. a 1000 poly model with 4 matierals costs the same to render as a 4000 poly model with 1 material.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    so this mean after i make the weapons in 3d i need to export the weapon and the display part in 2 separate meshes ?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    well the actual display part needs to be assigned a seperate material with its own uv map that covers a whole texture sheet. then you need to create a material with some kind of animated display on it - epic's flak cannon uses a tall texture with numbers on it which they pan to scroll the numbers up or down, we've created bars and graphs and stuff using similar techniques. Hourences has excellent tutorials for animated materials.

then you have to talk to coders because here's where my skills drown in the deep end. bottom line is - any Parameter material node can be accessed by script and made to do whatever you like - have a look in the flak cannon script.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic weapons with info display

weapons with info display

Hi !

How can i put an info display on a weapon ?

something like this:
Working...
X