Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What constitutes a .udk file's total memory size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What constitutes a .udk file's total memory size?

Hello,

I've been working on a project (with a team) for a long while now. Our assets are heavily based in custom packages, while the actual map packages often just contain whatever it is UDK generates (lightmaps, etc). The game I'm working on is sort of like an RTS, and so none of the maps are overall that big (maps are typically about the size of a starcraft II 1v1 map at largest).

Anyways, I know most of the actual file size of a .udk would come from coordinates, lighting, paths, that kind of thing. The most visually complex maps we have are around 30mb. But for whatever reason, one map we have is around 110mb, and I just can't figure out why. It's a small map, contains less assets, terrain, etc, than most of our maps too. There's no additional kismet or anything like that either. It looks like it's package seems to have more lightmaps than most other maps, but not by some huge margin, and the biggest is about 600kb, with the rest being way less. Not nearly enough to make it 4x in size than our others. This is a map I did not make, but inherited from another designer, so maybe he did something weird.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what I can try? Or where I can look to help figure this out? Hell, even when I delete things (skybox, some assets), the file size actually gets bigger.

Thanks for reading all this, I appreciate it!

Baked lighting was saved into the file at a guess. It just seems the most likely culprit considering the factor of increase. I don't know if it can be undone, someone with more experienced may be able to advise...

Comment

I had similar problems and here are some suggestions :
      - If there is BSP, it can seriously increase the size of a map.
      - For a reason I don't know the udk map can suddenly decrease a lot after a lot of iterations/build all/other (something like 10-20, during 10-20 days).
      - I had a similar problem when I built a map from a pre-existent map I built before. I deleted a lot of elements of it (Static Meshs, some BSP, Volumes, FX, Path Nodes etc...) and strangely, the size didn't decrease a lot. The only solution was waiting with those iterations/build all/... and the size finally decreased.

Comment

Posting more just to show that I'm still monitoring this thread.

There certainly are some BSP on there, but it's not that much (especially compared to some of the other map files). I'll play around with the uh.. "waiting" idea ]Innuendo[ proposed, but I'm still on the lookout if anyone has any other ideas.

Thanks

Comment

Depending on the complexity of the map, what happens if you Select-All, copy paste all assets into a new blank UDK (incl Kismet)... Not forgetting to Tweak World properties etc???

Comment

I had a similar problem with a map using 385mb and when I saw I always had this number no matter what map I was using. Then I figured out it was the own pawn (the player character, in a 3rd person camera) and its heavy materials. Maybe you have a "forgotten" mesh or skeletal mesh sucking all memory.

Comment

Working...
            X