UDK 'forgets' about the materials on some segments of the landscape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UDK 'forgets' about the materials on some segments of the landscape

Hey guys. I've done some really serious digging for how things work about numerous public software tools and have never had the need to actually post anything myself, but this time - it's UDK.

I've set up a level with two landscapes that both use a layer blended multi-texture material that is applied by a heightmap and my main landscape seems to have started 'forgetting' about the material on some of the landscape segments seemingly at random.
    The landscape size is 1009x1009 in UDK unit size.
    There was a time when it did work, however it has also started to complain about both my package (.upk) and my level (.udk) files being too big that UDK wants (>300Mb). So I tried dividing the two of my landscapes into separate levels and streaming them. This seemingly had no effect. The materials were still missing on some segments.
    Notable that only the main (surface) landscape materials are missing. The second landscape is the cave interior inside of the mountain.
    Also notable that the landscape segments disappear more consistently the 'higher' material layer I apply to them. As in if I manually select the 'snow' layer from my material layers which has the 'highest' layer value in the heightmap terms and apply it, almost any segment becomes untextured. Perhaps this is because of the layer complexity as the highest layer needs to apply all the other layers before it. If so, is there anything I can do to make it better; a way of doing it differently perhaps? Any insights? Because this is as far as UDK seems to let me see any debugging information unfortunately and I'm not really that experienced with it. Thanks.

edit: oh and I thought it's a lightmass issue at one point as well because my level refused to build lightmass, but I fixed that and the swarm agent does run and build it now, but the materials did not fix.

If I remember right you can only have a maximum of 12 texture samples. Anything beyond that and you get that issue. We had more then 12 of them and it gave us the same issue. Hope this helps

Comment

Oh yeah I'm not overreaching that amount as it becomes red in the material editor if one does.

Comment

Working...
      X