Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Attach a mesh/mover to a skeletal mesh's bone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attach a mesh/mover to a skeletal mesh's bone?

Hi again, in my cheap horror game, all the enemy's movements are solely done in matinee and I was wondering if it were possible to attach a mask to one of their faces. I could just animate it so it follows their head movements but that would be cheap looking and take forever so I was wondering if there was a way to attach the mesh to their head bone so it moves with their head.

Yeah, in Kismet right click, New Action -> Actor -> Attach to Actor... should do the job.

Comment

hmm, wouldn't that just make the mask stand in place wherever i put it and just move in a straight line following the actor?

Comment

No, you use the offsets to place it. So if your pivots match and you enable the position and rotation offset, it'll snap into place. It all depends on your pivots. So match the mask pivot, to the bone pivot before you export it, so when you attach it, it can just snap into place. Regardless of being placed correctly, it'll follow it properly, so you just need to make sure it's placed correctly.

If the pivot does not match and for some reason you prefer not to match it, you can still use the offsets to position and rotate it into place. Either way though, you should check these so the thing can be placed correctly.

I guess if your character is directly placed in the level, meaning, you don't spawn it in, you can just place the mask in the level as well and attach it directly. This of course not really possible if you spawn your characters in, so you have to then attach through Kismet.

Comment

Originally posted by obihb View Post
          No, you use the offsets to place it. So if your pivots match and you enable the position and rotation offset, it'll snap into place. It all depends on your pivots. So match the mask pivot, to the bone pivot before you export it, so when you attach it, it can just snap into place. Regardless of being placed correctly, it'll follow it properly, so you just need to make sure it's placed correctly.

If the pivot does not match and for some reason you prefer not to match it, you can still use the offsets to position and rotate it into place. Either way though, you should check these so the thing can be placed correctly.

I guess if your character is directly placed in the level, meaning, you don't spawn it in, you can just place the mask in the level as well and attach it directly. This of course not really possible if you spawn your characters in, so you have to then attach through Kismet.
          ahh, thank you for going into detail, you helped a lot. :]

Comment

Working...
          X