Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tree question ?

Hey guys,

This may be a noob question but I want the trees to sway in the wind in my game like the grass does ?

Is this possible in udk ? can I use the default trees or do I have to create my own for that ?

Thanks.

Add speedtrees and a wind actor, it should take 5 mins no more. That's the good news. The bad news is, once you start adding a lot of these, the frame rate falls drastically. So it will take some serious custom art to build a Far Cry 2 like plush jungle using UDK. I wonder how UE4 foliage stacks up...

Comment

you can also make trees sway in the wind via vertex animation, with the WorldPositionOffset stuff in the material. then paint as foliage from staticmeshes, no need for speedtree

Comment

Originally posted by Chosker View Post
        you can also make trees sway in the wind via vertex animation, with the WorldPositionOffset stuff in the material. then paint as foliage from staticmeshes, no need for speedtree
        Interesting, good to know Chosker... Are you using this technique actively in your own levels? If so, do you have any benchmarking insights on what's possible with UDK, i.e. number of trees / leaves / forest density / jungle complexity etc? (I'd like to build a Mayan rainforest sometime)...

Comment

you will be able to place far more staticmesh trees than speedtrees without performance issues,so go for vertex anims.speedtrees look good,but at a cost.

Comment

no I'm not using this technique actively and I don't have any benchmarking as I'm only making an indoor dungeon game at the moment.
            but like gaz661 says you'll be able to place far more of them and they can look as good (or better) as speedtrees. here's a very good tutorial about it: http://minifloppy.it/tutorials/udk-wind-vertex-shader/

Comment

Many thanks Chosker!

Originally posted by Chosker View Post
              no I'm not using this technique actively and I don't have any benchmarking as I'm only making an indoor dungeon game at the moment.
              but like gaz661 says you'll be able to place far more of them and they can look as good (or better) as speedtrees. here's a very good tutorial about it: http://minifloppy.it/tutorials/udk-wind-vertex-shader/

Comment

Working...
              X