Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How big can my .udk map file be before I get into trouble?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How big can my .udk map file be before I get into trouble?

I have been working on an open world type level. It is 50,000 x 50,000 unreal units in size. As I add more assets the map size keeps growing. It is currently 75mb, i had to cut back on the light map size to keep it under 100mb. It would look a lot better if I cranked up the lightmaps but may go up to 200mb. I still have a more assets to add and it keeps growing.

Can anyone here tell me how big can I let this file safely be, before I need to use 2 separate files?

Thanks

The size of the level isn't really the problem rather its the complexity. First, if you're baking light it may take a long time, whereas It you're using dynamic light it may kill the frame rate... So the type and amount of individual meshes is key, but there's no straightforward answer.. I'm using the entire available UDK space and have a map file size of 130 MB, with 20,000 individual meshes (no merging yet). I'm also using dynamic light (no baking), and it really hits the frame rate... Merging your meshes using a 3D app will be key, but that takes work....

Comment

I am using baked lights. It cuts my draw calls from 13,000 to 2,000 and gets the FPS from 45 up to 70. But that is what makes my map size grow. But is there any issue if my map size goes to 200mb or 300mb? Because I think it may get there if I start increasing my Lightmap sizes, and things look much better with bigger light map resolution.

Comment

UT3 VCTF-Accursed

Largest UT3 map available was just Under 1gb
        - i eventually got it optimised to 776MB
        Ran perfect, this does not mean you should do it

- teh size is not an issue per-se, its the cell draw count, and the vertex count you have within 1 scene..
        Use optimisation/ LOD's , blah blah blah

Comment

Yes if you are on pc i dont think the size will mater so much but still keeping it optimized is a good thing.For example i curently have a island level with many difrent meshes and the final udk file is around 260mb.
          By the way,frankit did say something interesting about combinig statick meshes in a 3d app.This means that if you have a big building made of difrent meshes will have to use multiple shaders but it will be combined as one mesh.What i dont know if is this helps performance(one big mesh + multiple materials?).I did made a post about the same thing but about interpactors and with frankits help i can confirm it helps.

Comment

Maximum Map size is around 3GB but i would recommend to stick to a maximum of 300-600 mb. If a Map file is larger than 3GB your not able to save the map.
            Try to make a 'main' map with only the basic (Playerstart, light and sky) and add streamed levels to this main map. So you can make huge maps with several sub-maps each with a filesize of 300-600 mb.

Comment

Working...
            X