Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best way to make a smooth slope on stairs ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the best way to make a smooth slope on stairs ?

So the enemy wont pop up and down while he is going up and down the stairs .
    Now this is a pawn that has it's own custom skeleton ( not unreal's ) so foot placement will be more complicated, so please put that aside .

What i'm doing right now is using brushes to make block volumes .
    The issue is that the faces have to be one cube and not two triangles, otherwise it wont smooth the motion but will only block it .

So i say, let's use optimize button in the edit brush window, but this button is buggy as ****, sometimes it works and sometime it's not, and yes, all vertices are snap to the grid and one perfect square/rectangular can be made, and even after i manage to optimize it and rebuild geometry and everything else, it still wont work sometimes .

And this is what i have to do to every stair :S .

are there any better solutions ? I'v tried static mesh before but it wasn't that great either .

Is there any way to make it smoothly slide between stairs via a script ?

Bump !

I would of use static meshes normally, but in this situation :
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	3250713
    This is not that easy :S

Comment

If you want a smooth slope on the stairs, take a cubic static mesh, flatten it, make it longer so that it stretches over the whole staircase, place it, and then go to options and make it hidden.

Comment

Thanks, i'v already did that, but what about the middle ( the vertex ) ?
        The enemy starts jumping or or getting stuck over there .
        I'v tried to put some meshes over there and it end up well besides the fact that the enemy looks like he is flying :S

It would of look better if i shrink it's cylinder collider but than he will intersect with the walls while he is walking .

Comment

If the stairs are brush based create a brush in the shape of a ramp over your stairs and add it as a clipping volume that doesn't affect IK a few units from touching the stairs

If it's a mesh just create the colission mesh as a ramp in the modeling program and disable per poly collision in the model's properties

Comment

Originally posted by CharlestonN View Post
            If the stairs are brush based create a brush in the shape of a ramp over your stairs a few units from touching the stairs

If it's a mesh just create the colission mesh as a ramp in the modeling program and disable per poly collision in the model's properties
            Thanks but for some reason it doesn't going that well, I'm going to the FootPlacement way now, it is looking a lot better anyway . Thanks anyway

Comment

I forgot to mention to make the brush a clipping volume, not just a standard brush and you should be able to tell it not to affect IK for foot placement but the player movement box will be affected

Originally posted by Sahkan View Post
              Thanks but for some reason it doesn't going that well, I'm going to the FootPlacement way now, it is looking a lot better anyway . Thanks anyway

Comment

Working...
              X