help with my static mesh collision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help with my static mesh collision

hi, i'm trying to create a level using my static meshes created from 3d studio max, i have create a very simple canyon that i want to use to let it have some water on the canyon, the player can walk over the high areas and he can fall to the water and still go through the water.

my problem is that i have imported my model into the udk without any issue, but when i tried to add some collision to the model, the collision result very weird, i need some kind of more accurate collision, here is a picture of the result of the auto concave collision

[shot]http://i62.tinypic.com/2z3w64i.png[/shot]

any tips to get the collision more accurate on this kind of 3d model ?

thanks in advance for all the help.

You're REALLY going to want to use UDK landscape for them. It will handle all your collision and optimization issues using large terrain pieces. Since you made this is MAX, you can bake a height map out of it, and import that into UDK's landscape.

In fact, this exact question was asked an answers properly a few days ago http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/...cape-MOBA-game

Comment

thanks for the info, i'm very basic using 3d studio max, can you tell me how can i make a height map from that terrain?

thanks for your help.

Comment

I found a tutorial a couple years ago just google '3ds max heightmap tutorial' its not hard to do it but it takes more steps than anyone would want to type out here for you.

one other thing you can do for now in UDK . Open the static mesh properties down towards the bottom of the list of option there is one that says "Use simple Box Collision" Uncheck that box.

its not perfect and you really should get the data into a heightmap, my unchecking simple box collision is just for now so you can wander around on it and get a feel for it in gameplay POV ya know.

Comment

thanks McTune, i will try it.

Comment

Actually, you don't need UCX collision on your mesh, instead use perpoly collision...

Comment

Originally posted by 3DAlex View Post
              Actually, you don't need UCX collision on your mesh, instead use perpoly collision...
              very usefull, thanks

Comment

Working...
              X