Adding a blur pass to materials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding a blur pass to materials

I'm currently working on an SSAO shader, but to finish it off I need to add a blur pass. I've already done the node, and this is the code:

Code:
    int samples = 10;	
    float2 uv = ScreenAlignedUV(texcoords.xy);

float3 sum = float3(0.0,0.0,0.0);

for (int i = -samples; i < samples; i++) {
    for (int j = -samples; j < samples; j++) {
    sum += tex2D(SampleGoesHere, uv + float2(i, j) * (rad/float(samples))).xyz/ pow(float(samples) * 2.0, 2.0);
    }
    }

return float4(sum, 1.0);
    The problem here is that the code requires a sampler input in the tex2D function, but the output I'm getting from my previous node is a float4. Is there any way to convert the RGB values from my previous float into a sampler? Or even a way to skip the tex2D function altogether?

Thanks for your time.

Unfortunately it's not possible within the material editor only, this is a common issue when doing post process effects with the UDK.
    (On a side note, you should really look into a separable blur instead of doing it in one pass which can cause a major performance impact)

There are ways to get this done but they require some work
    1. Scripted Textures
    2. Using Scene Capture Actors/RTT as described by Alexander Dracott in Vertex 2 (p.34)

Comment

maybe you can input custom texture into custom node, and make your previous manipulations until that vector4 in code?

Comment

Originally posted by mAlkAv!An View Post
        Unfortunately it's not possible within the material editor only, this is a common issue when doing post process effects with the UDK.
        (On a side note, you should really look into a separable blur instead of doing it in one pass which can cause a major performance impact)

There are ways to get this done but they require some work
        1. Scripted Textures
        2. Using Scene Capture Actors/RTT as described by Alexander Dracott in Vertex 2 (p.34)
        Going to give Scripted Textures a go. Didn't even know they existed! I'll post up the results once I'm done.

Comment

Working...
        X