Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some tips and advice from experts on my level

Hey Guys,

This is a level that is currently still in progress. I planned to design and build this level just to revise my skills. But of course, I can't criticize my own work. That's why I need your help. This one's called "Undrground". A hidden underground Military base. Below is a screenshot on one of the rooms. So that means there will be more rooms instead of just a single square room. What do you think of this? Is it really that bad? If it is, could you give me reasons so that I could make it better?

Thanks to Gazz61 for the great Model (Computers, Chairs, etc) and 3DRegenerator for the great Jet Fighter model (You can find his awesome works here http://tf3dm.com/user/3dregenerator)

I like to give honest feedback, because that's how we make thing better. =)

So, with that being said, the environment seems to me like it has potential, but right now, it looks rather bland. I think the real killer is the lighting. It's far too flat, and dull. I think I can just make out the fighter jet, but it took me a while to notice it, mainly due to it having almost zero lights acting on it.

Other than the lighting, the environment just lacks overall density and detail. For example, the floor just doesn't have any sort of variation to it... just a standard tiled material. Add complexity by having, say, wires running all across the floor. Some wires could be large, some small, and some could feed into containers and into the back of a terminal of some sort. Make the walls more interesting too. Rather than just tiling a mesh around the area, add different materials and meshes to the walls. For example, you could model letters and have 'BASE 1' written in big bold text on the wall, with computer terminals next to it. Add some pipes onto the walls that flow around base, and maybe add some doors too.

You could even model a runway with red lights on it for the fighter jet, and add some lights onto the roof that light up the whole area a bit more.

The key thing is to just keep at it. I always find myself stuck for ideas at this point in a project, and find it hard to achieve something that looks good. Keep going, and use the internet to find images as a reference for what you could include in the environment. Eventually, it will look awesome.

Hope I could help. =)

Comment

Originally posted by Thomasmul10 View Post
      I like to give honest feedback, because that's how we make thing better. =)

So, with that being said, the environment seems to me like it has potential, but right now, it looks rather bland. I think the real killer is the lighting. It's far too flat, and dull. I think I can just make out the fighter jet, but it took me a while to notice it, mainly due to it having almost zero lights acting on it.

Other than the lighting, the environment just lacks overall density and detail. For example, the floor just doesn't have any sort of variation to it... just a standard tiled material. Add complexity by having, say, wires running all across the floor. Some wires could be large, some small, and some could feed into containers and into the back of a terminal of some sort. Make the walls more interesting too. Rather than just tiling a mesh around the area, add different materials and meshes to the walls. For example, you could model letters and have 'BASE 1' written in big bold text on the wall, with computer terminals next to it. Add some pipes onto the walls that flow around base, and maybe add some doors too.

You could even model a runway with red lights on it for the fighter jet, and add some lights onto the roof that light up the whole area a bit more.

The key thing is to just keep at it. I always find myself stuck for ideas at this point in a project, and find it hard to achieve something that looks good. Keep going, and use the internet to find images as a reference fr what you could include in the environment. eventually, it will look awesome.

Hope I could help. =)
      Thanks for the feedback! I think that'll help me a lot. So now I know what I should do. Add more detail and improve the lighting. I will also try to change the materials a bit to make it look better. Anyways, thanks. I'll put a screenshot when theres progress

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hex_Gamer View Post
        Thanks for the feedback! I think that'll help me a lot. So now I know what I should do. Add more detail and improve the lighting. I will also try to change the materials a bit to make it look better. Anyways, thanks. I'll put a screenshot when theres progress

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
        Good stuff. I'll subscribe to the thread so I know when it's up. =)

Comment

You need reference. Concepts, photos, anything because, yes, your room is just a box with some props because it has no base (source) in which it was built on.

Try Googling planes in a hanger, NORAD, underground bases and so on. One thing you'll immediately note is your scene is extremely cramped

[shot]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a9/SR71_factoryfloor_SkunkWorks.jpg[/shot]

Comment

I also imagine it would be really uncomfortable having to use wheeled office chairs over a heavily corrugated metal floor.

Comment

Thanks for the honest feedback, guys! I really appreciate it. It would help me a lot.

Comment

Look at the reference image that Max power posted. Aim for something like that. When you have the scene assembled, we will talk about lighting.

Comment

Also custom made meshes are needed for something like that , modelling is very usefull when you are building a scene .

Comment

Working...
                  X