Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scaling Question

Hey gang,

I have an idea for a FPS that takes the layout of my house as the basis of the map. But the players would be more G.I. Joe sized or so. I've been reading through some posts on units and conversions and such but wanted to know if it was possible to maybe lay the thing out using the ration of 16u = 1ft (I've seen this several times) just so I can get it built. And then once it's done, can I scale the entire map up at once? Or can I shrink the size of the characters? Or do I just have to do the math right he first time and scale it as I'm building?

Thanks for the input.

Figure out the scale before making the level and design everything at that scale.

Comment

Thanks Darthviper107. I was afraid of that. I've been playing around with it over the weekend, and rather than worrying about exact scale calculations I've just been building and testing to see what "feels" like hte right scale and going with that.

Comment

personally i would make the character normal size (udk = 96uu) then make the environment stuff larger, the reason behind this is physics, just in case you may add any form of vehicle you would have loads of probs doing it small size, it might also effect the ragdoll of your characters if they're to small

Comment

Thanks, Geodav. That's the approach I'm pretty much going with. My goal is for a more kid oriented FPS. I'll be modding the weapons so they shoot paintballs, nerf darts, silly string, stuff like that. And the characters will be G.I Joe sized running around the house. Plan on turning the transports into Hot Wheels and stuff like that.

Comment

Working...
          X