• Show
Clear All

• replied
    Nobody has any ideas?

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Displacement Collision

Displacement Collision

Hey forumers,

Simple question that probably has an incredibly complicated solution. I have a simple plane of geometry with a tessellated shader and panning displacement attached to it (to represent water). How would I have a boat float along the displaced geo?

I'd like to think there's some way to achieve this. I know a bit of unrealscript and am willing to go to those lengths to get a nice effect, if necessary. Obviously it would be preferable to have a setting in the editor handle it for me, hence this being posted in the Level Design and Creation section.

My thought is that if per poly collision works for objects like projectiles, there must be a way to dynamically change/update the collision each frame. I'm really not worried about performance right now, I just want it to work.

One potential option would be to cast traces downwards from the boat each frame and make it match the height of the trace hit point, but if per poly collision can't detect displacement, I doubt a trace can. If anybody knows if this is feasible, please let me know.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and I hope somebody has some insight into how to make this happen.
Working...
X