3D Mesh .obj To Heightmap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3D Mesh .obj To Heightmap

Anyone Know of some software that will convert a 3D mesh .obj, .fbx, etc.. To Heightmap png, r16, etc..
    I'm surprised it is not more available...

You would use projection for that, render to texture. I know max and maya can do it but not sure about blender.

Comment

There's many ways of doing that. In your 3D program you could apply a gradient texture with a planar mapping from the side and then just render a top view without shading/lighting

Comment

Terresculptor is capable of importing 3D meshes and does support all file formats required for UE3 heightmaps and layers.

In a 3D modeling program like blender you can simply add a plane with the same x/y dimension as the landscape to the scene and than bake out a height/displacement map.

Comment

Vue has an option for this and it is very fast, but not much luck with it. Terresculpture, It was taking a severely long time, maybe that part of the T.S. software is still being developed?
          I guess Blender can do the projection with some steps involved, I will go the render to texture way it is faster.....thx....

Comment

How large is the obj mesh?

TerreSculptor is multi-threaded in its mesh conversion so it should be reasonably fast.
            On my i7-2600k QuadHT it converts a 1024*1024 aligned mesh in less than 4 seconds.

TerreSculptor can currently convert obj but only if it is a single proper triangulated mesh, if it is an optimized mesh then no.
            And if the mesh is poorly created with non-aligned and/or duplicate vertices it can take longer to convert if the Variant import option must be used.
            A multi-threaded line-casting mesh conversion tool is planned for the future, which will support converting any type of mesh including optimized to a heightmap, and will be much faster since it doesn't have to sort and parse and compare all of the vertex information.

TerreSculptor is also only in the Alpha development stage at this time.

Comment

If your looking for a free alternative I believe xNormal has hightmap but I can't speak for its quality as I use blender mostly.

Comment

That was the problem DGUnreal, The mesh was not triangulated. So after the triangulation it was quick loading the mesh and almost perfect the 1st time. The mesh looked a little unsmoothed but the features were fine. I used Blender 3D also and is fairly straightforward, a little tricky with lighting(...and that was it. No lighting used, set to shadless!!). I will experiment with both a little more later...

Comment

Good to hear.
                  TerreSculptor's viewport renderer currently uses a fast mesh normal calculation and only vertex lighting, so it can typically look less smooth than what most 3D applications will show you.
                  Updates to the viewport renderer and tools are coming soon.
                  I have so many features still to complete... the line-casting mesh conversion will be great since it will support sub-vertex-sampling, and eventually there will be terrain painting tools as well.

Comment

Great software. I set the settings to swap y & z and rotate mesh origin during export from Blender 3d. Turned out very well this time after checking my .obj export options.

Comment

Working...
                    X