Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[FIXED]: All UDK Vehicles are stuck. Pawn can enter, but Vehicle won't move!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[FIXED]: All UDK Vehicles are stuck. Pawn can enter, but Vehicle won't move!

[FIXED]
    I've been following the forums for some time, but cannot find a solution to this. The Pawn can enter any vehicle, Pawn can fire, but the vehicle won't budge. It won't move, it won't drive. It isn't something simple such as a placement issue or rebuilding paths. I've had the problem consistently throughout designing a large map. I have a strong suspicion that locating large objects such as planets on the outer edges of the addressable UDK map space is causing the problem. But I have no workaround. Deleting all the vehicles or copying all the objects and code to a new project does not help either. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks in advance....

Check the collisions in your map -> press play from here and type in this console command (show collision)

Comment

Originally posted by fighter5347 View Post
      Check the collisions in your map -> press play from here and type in this console command (show collision)
      Thanks, I've done it. But I'm none the wiser.... The collision is identical as far as I can see for Vehicles anyway. Can you tell me what I'm looking for?

A couple of things to add. If I test the map on a 2nd machine with a fresh UDK install, the Vehicles appear to move just fine. But after a number runs in PIE, they stop working. In that regard this bug is a similar to the documented audio bug, where all audio stops playing in PIE (no sound whatsoever) after a time perhaps a dozen or two dozen runs in PIE. I have struggled with that problem too for months with no reliable fix.

The only way I appear to be able to get the Vehicles to move, is to delete all the objects at the outer rim edges of the world. Then rebuild the paths, then save. Then reopen. Viola, vehicles move again. If I re-add the objects as a group paste, the problem immediately returns.... When running in PIE or the run-time, the sole clue I have that something is wrong, is that vehicles that are normally are mounted on a surface, are now sunken into that surface. Whereas when operational they float slightly above it i.e. the Cicada. I'm totally baffled.... Has anyone seen this problem before?

Comment

You have to look for collision lines that could probably block you. You said that you have to delete some object to get the vehicle to move -> so probably their collision is messed up

Do you use a terrain or a landscape?

Comment

Originally posted by fighter5347 View Post
          You have to look for collision lines that could probably block you. You said that you have to delete some object to get the vehicle to move -> so probably their collision is messed up

Do you use a terrain or a landscape?
          Yes I use landscapes quite extensively but hardly at all for locating vehicles. All the vehicles are primarily located on a large flat standard base structure that comes with every non-blank project. But there are a few exceptions where I have vehicles floating in 'space' connected to free-floating structures. But not a single vehicle on any surface can move at all.

The objects that I mentioned deleting, are merely eye candy set against the outer edges of available map space. They are not blocking or getting in the way of vehicles or anything else. They are just planets and moons offset into the distance. They can't even be navigated to within the editor never mind at run-time.

Also, I frequently delete all of the vehicles and just leave one on a large flat surface, with no obstacles impending it, and it still won't drive. Its almost as if UDK has some hidden limit to how far objects can be placed at the outer edges, and if this is breached some important calculation can't be completed that vehicles require.... Does that make any sense?

Comment

possibly this

http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/...8#post31223978

Comment

Originally posted by gaz661 View Post

Thanks for the responses, no luck so far. This is more frustrating than working with volumes!!! In short, the colored lines in 'show collisions' appear identical between a working and non-working version of the map. Also, I've placed vehicles on all sorts of terrains and it makes absolutely no difference. Again the only thing that works is to delete all interp actors on the outer edges of the UDK map-space i.e. planets and moons, but this kills the effect that I need!

Comment

Has anyone seen this type of problem before? What can I do in this case? Is there an escalation process, a way to write directly to the Epic teams, perhaps with an example project and they can offer a workaround?

Comment

HINT-1:
                  Vehicles are not placed correctly at game start-up. All vehicles remain stuck in space.... On a working map a vehicle that is rotated upside down is 'righted' and falls to the ground.

HINT-2:
                  When a player exits a 'stuck' vehicle i.e. Cicada, the turbines to continue to move independently and indefinitely without a pawn!

Comment

I was hoping there would be some logs to examine... Vehicle error messages... Some clues that way.... But the hard slog approach was needed. thankfully I had ample saved files with incremental changes. This allowed me to find the specific object or objects that was the cause of the bug! Without those I doubt I could ever have solved this. So what was the problem?

Comment

Fixed

I noticed from the different change files that the vehicles stopped working after I added several rows of static meshes to two existing long rows of meshes. So I cut one row out, and eventually the vehicles started to work again. I thought that's strange. There is some kind of limitation by having too many static meshes that prevent vehicles from moving... So I thought that's a pain, how can I redesign the level with fewer meshes?

But something fighter5347 said stuck a chord with me. He had me check collisions but nothing showed up visually at least. But it made me take a mental leap I'd never have thought of. I thought what if it isn't the number of static meshes, but rather the complexity of the collisions of the meshes. So a calculation issue, like swamping MS Excel with a large complex spreadsheet.

So I quickly dropped all collisions for this mesh and hey presto the vehicles spun up. So kudos to fighter5347!! Turns out, I had been lazy earlier in the design and set the 3 Auto-Convex collision values unnecessarily high: depth .... max hull verts .... allow splits! I should have spent a little more time tweaking these. Anyone have a good primer for optimal settings?

So is this a bug or is this designer error? And how would a games maker ever figure this out? Are there LOGS or STATS that can highlight these types of problems? There was no hint of problems with FPS or ms frame time... I need to research next if there are logs or stats that would indicate problems with having two many complex collisions multiplied by too many static meshes... Meantime, thanks to everyone for their suggestions!

Comment

i think the moto is to keep collisions as simple as possible, its basic content design, these sort of things have been forgotten in recent times due to people thinking it's not necessary any more, but with newer engines and more complex static meshes it will get very important to remember these little time consuming things

glad you got it fixed in the end

Comment

Originally posted by geodav View Post
                          i think the moto is to keep collisions as simple as possible, its basic content design, these sort of things have been forgotten in recent times due to people thinking it's not necessary any more, but with newer engines and more complex static meshes it will get very important to remember these little time consuming things glad you got it fixed in the end
                          Thanks geodav. Its a big relief as I couldn't move forward without getting it resolved...

Comment

Working...
                          X