No announcement yet.

I hate UDK lightmaps!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Added some info on Post #37 (full precision UVs)

Comment

Thank you soooo much for your experiments!!!
      Is there any option that we can make this thread "sticky" or that we summarize the gained information in a separate thread, called FAQ-Lightmaps or so? This is obviously a quite important topic that makes many people get mad with UDK^^ But I think it's going to be hard to find for others if the valuable info are buried here in this thread...

Comment

@Hackmet
        I totally agree with you, I even mailed world of level design but I did not have to this day an answer, which is a shame.

I am at hard work on UDK and there are a lot of things like that, and because I am a perfectionist, if something doesn't work to my liking, I try until I understand the why and how to fix it.
        There are quite a few stuff I would like to share, these days I was thinking about creating a blog or something, of all the things I managed to fix and the tips and trick on some real world issue, not tutorial style.

So I have to do this, I will post here when the blog is in place, it could be interesting ^_^

Comment

I added it to my thread of links at least.

Comment

Originally posted by OlivierJT View Post
            @Hackmet
            I totally agree with you, I even mailed world of level design but I did not have to this day an answer, which is a shame.

I am at hard work on UDK and there are a lot of things like that, and because I am a perfectionist, if something doesn't work to my liking, I try until I understand the why and how to fix it.
            There are quite a few stuff I would like to share, these days I was thinking about creating a blog or something, of all the things I managed to fix and the tips and trick on some real world issue, not tutorial style.

So I have to do this, I will post here when the blog is in place, it could be interesting ^_^
            Yay, a blog entry is a great idea as well Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by OlivierJT View Post
              Added some info on Post #37 (full precision UVs)
              Thanks a lot man!! Your handful of posts in this thread have been more useful than all the threads and documentation on light maps that I have seen till now. Post#37 should be added as a separate topic in UDK documentation.

Comment

Originally posted by tuxmask75 View Post
                Makes perfect sense!

Also...I really Wish UDK padded outwards from the UV islands. The way UDK's Padding works is kind of badly designed.
                If people don't mind having pixelated shadows, they can disable the texture smoothing which will eliminate the bleed all together.
                But who wants pixelated shadows,,, right ? lol

Another solution would be to bake the shadows in your 3D application of choice and bring them into UDK,, but you'd probably have to build a special shader, disable lightmass, and make sure your modeling package light sources match up with the ones in UDK,, it would be a real pain. ( but yeah this is also a little more of an oldschool approach I guess)
                Thanks to you too, tuxmask75!! If you hadn't started this post 3 years ago, experimenting on pretty much everything that's wrong with light maps, no one would have known about post#37. Also aptly titled thread. It's easy to find it when your early morning is ruined by light maps. You just made my day, thanks again!!

Comment

Originally posted by Stormrage256 View Post
                  Thanks to you too, tuxmask75!! If you hadn't started this post 3 years ago, experimenting on pretty much everything that's wrong with light maps, no one would have known about post#37. Also aptly titled thread. It's easy to find it when your early morning is ruined by light maps. You just made my day, thanks again!!
                  Your welcome ! I still Hate UDK Light maps! I have yet to try them out in unreal 4. Hope to hell they were fixed for Unreal 4!

Comment

Working...
                  X