Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permanently changing a static mesh pivot point

Hi everyone!

I'm importing some modular static meshes to my project (more specifically these ones) and the pivot point seems to be really far from all these meshes center. I'm trying to move it permanently to the center.

So far, I was able to change it by moving it on the editor and saving the pivot to prepivot, but this only works for the static mesh on scene.. I mean, not for the one in the content browser. I also tried exporting the staticmesh as fbx after moving the pivot point, but after I do so and import it again, the pivotpoint is still far away from the center of the mesh.

Is there any way to change the pivot permanently for a particular static mesh, using only UDK? Or do I need to use another software for it to work?

Thanks in advance!

If you place your mesh in level, and do RMB -> Pivot, you can find few settings.
    For example you can look at your mesh from Top View, right click on desired point -> move pivot here.

Comment

Hi Redbox! Thank you for your reply. I do know that you can change the pivot point from that menu, however, what I want is to permanently change the pivot point.

If I do RMB > Move pivot point here > Save pivot to prepivot, it changes but only for the static mesh on the scene. What I need is to change the pivot point for the static mesh on the browser, so whenever I use it, the new pivot point is selected.

Thanks!

Comment

when you export it and reimport are you moving the pivot the the center of the mesh and then making sure to move the mesh to 0,0,0?

Comment

Hi Gaz661! Thanks for your interest. I just moved the pivot to the center of the mesh, moved the mesh to (0, 0, 0) and then exported

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/849/rfai.jpg/

When reimporting it, the pivotpoint is really far away:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/833/qiuw.jpg/

Any ideas?

Thanks again!

Comment

LHutz, if object and pivot are indeed at origin point you may need to reset xform/transforms to assure your pivot is indeed at 0,0,0. Just a thought.

Comment

Hi SantoToribio, thanks for your help -- Is resetting the xform possible directly on udk or do these meshes have to be edited on another software?

The best scenario would to do this entirely on udk, do you think it's possible somehow?

Thanks!

Comment

you would have to move the pivot in your modelling program.

Comment

Working...
                X