Exporting landscape out of UDK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exporting landscape out of UDK

Hello , i have little problem with exporting landscape .
    I exported it from UDK as .raw . I had problems opening it , no converting software was clean , so i downloaded photoshop and was finally able to open it .
    But the problem is , after i open it with photoshop it doesn't really look like it should:

So does anyone know proper workflow for exporting landscape ? Maybe i'm doing something wrong on importing it into photoshop.

I would ask why you need to export it.
    If you are attempting to paint the terrain layout in PhotoShop, that is not something that will properly work as PhotoShop is not heightmap software, it is image software.

Landscape uses 16-bit heightmaps, which are not typically supported correctly on most paint software.
    The .RAW (.R16) format is not to be confused with camera RAW format supported by PhotoShop and other software.
    A RAW heightmap is a headerless binary 16-bit height field and not an image or camera file.
    Also be sure to note the RAW import/export parameters, if you export as Intel or Motorola, and Unsigned or Signed, you must import it into the other software using those exact same parameters or it will not import correctly, since those parameters define the binary data layout.

You are better off using heightmap editing software such as TerreSculptor or World Machine, or even ZBrush or MudBox, when creating or editing heightmaps.

Comment

Oh ok then , i just wanted to sculpt the terrain in UDK and texture it outside , but looks like i'll have to sculpt it in Zbrush or world machine .
      Thanks a lot for reply ! ^^

Comment

You can sculpt it in UDK and export it for use with other software if required.

What do you mean specifically by "texture it"?
        Typically you will create Layers based on altitude, slope, etc. for the Landscape material, and use tileable textures for each layer.
        This doesn't require exporting the heightmap, although you can use other software to derive other complex layer masks.

Comment

Hmm sounds interesting , i thought making texture map for terrain is possible only outside with photoshop or other software.
          I thought in udk it's possible to just paint texture layers manually.

Comment

If you want each Layer mask created algorithmically then it is usually easier to do that with external software vs in UDK.
            Although there would be better software than PhotoShop for doing this.

Comment

I found very nice software texGen and i'm using that for generating textures from heightmap.

Comment

Regarding the issue of opening the .raw file in Photoshop, it may be the settings. Photoshop starts with settings for .raw files, that dont work for the UDK export file. The dimensions are obviously the size of your landscape, for the Channels section, count needs to be set to 1, depth of 16 bits, and byte order set to IBM PC, with a header size of 0.

I import/export maps from UDK regularly as I work, and make tweaks in Photoshop, and world machine as I go. World machine wont open the file UDK exports, but you can save it as a 16-bit TGA file in Photoshop, and it will give the best results, in world machine.

Comment

I had alot of problems when I tried the same thing. After I found the right way to import/export I wrote a little manual for future reference...

Export from UDK
                  Just export as *.raw files.
                  Take a note of your landscape dimensions (total quad size) - without these you may not be able to open the texture in photoshop.

Import to Photoshop
                  If it's a Height Map
                  • At dimensions fill in the total quad size of your landscape
                  • Set Channel count to 1
                  • Set Depth to 16 bit
                  • Set Byte Order to IBM PC!

If it's a Layer Map
                  • At dimensions fill in the total quad size of your landscape
                  • Set Channel count to 1
                  • Set Depth to 8 bit

Export from Photoshop
                  Wasn't difficult at all. Use default raw export settings.
                  Note: Image Mode should be 16 bit grayscale or multichannel with single channel named grey

Import to UDK
                  Make sure the vertices size is correct. If the imported map isn't rectangular but e.g. 1009 x 505 UDK might detect it as 505 x 1009 and mess it up.

Comment

Landscape heightmap export is preset to PC (Intel) 16-bit Unsigned format.
                    So set the importing application settings accordingly.

Landscape heightmap import supports a combination of PC/Mac and Unsigned/Signed settings.
                    As I stated previously, the import and export settings for PC (Intel) or Mac (Motorola) and Unsigned or Signed must be the same for both applications.

2D paint software is terrible for editing 16-bit heightmaps/heightfields because they are limited to displaying 8-bit grayscale on standard monitors (some video adapters and monitors allow 10-bit color component, which is still too low).
                    Displaying only 8-bit grayscale depth means that every 1 grayscale value displayed in PhotoShop is actually some value within 256 levels of heightmap altitude = lousy visual representation and useless for editing = you are only able to visually see 1/256th (or only 0.39%) of the actual total number of heightmap altitude values.

Originally posted by Korvash View Post
                    ... World machine wont open the file UDK exports ...
                    Yes it will.
                    Either choose "Save as type" of .r16 in the Landscape export dialog or rename the exported file extension from .raw to .r16 for World Machine's File Input device.
                    TerreSculptor will open it correctly regardless of the .raw or .r16 extension, and gives more import/export settings than WM or most other software.

Comment

So seems like settings in photoshop helped .
                      Before i had set channel count to 2 , so that was the problem propably.
                      Now it looks allright and i managed to save it in png.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrenen View Post
                        I found very nice software texGen and i'm using that for generating textures from heightmap.
                        Seen the software you are talking about. By the way most editors do texture maps.
                        L3DT does this for you and is a breeze, World Machine does this now..etc..

Comment

I will buy WorldMachine license once i get some funding .

Comment

Originally posted by Whiteout View Post
                            Seen the software you are talking about. By the way most editors do texture maps.
                            L3DT does this for you and is a breeze, World Machine does this now..etc..
                            To add to the list above:
                            TerreSculptor will currently do a basic color overlay texture (Tools menu -> Save Colorset).
                            New features that are currently under development include the ability to create and use custom Colorsets (this feature should be fully functional by later this year).
                            An upcoming TerreSculptor feature called TerreTexture will allow for creating gigatextures based on the heightmap with numerous options and up to a 68GB texture set.
                            The current Alpha version of TerreSculptor has only about 5% of the full future feature list completed so far (the "other guys" have had years of development time before me).

Comment

Working...
                            X