Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Light Map bleeding issue, even though I unwrapped it properly!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Light Map bleeding issue, even though I unwrapped it properly!

Hey everyone, I have a problem with my light maps!

Here is the issue. I make my modular object, and I give it a second UV channel, for a light map. To my extent it is unwrapped properly, every individual face is its own island, and there is plenty of marginal space, too:

Click image for larger version

Name:	lightmap issue1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	3253531

So it should work, but when I bake the lighting, I get a shadow on the edge of the asset.

Name:	lightmap issue2.jpg
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	3253533

I don't understand, why! I found a trouble shoot page and it showed the exact same issue here, but it says the problem arises when you have no padding, or overlapping UV's, and I have neither.

So what is the problem, then? I know my object is texture unwrapped odd, but that shouldn't have anything to do with it, right?
    Attached Files

At first I thought of this.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntx10JMl9f4

where your uv island might be a fraction of a pixel off and produce a seam however looking again it seems to be more of a specular seam.
    In your material uncheck 'Allow lightmap specular' and see if that fixes it.

Comment

Okay, i also used 'snap to to pixels' when i unwrapped it, but i'll definately check it out!

Comment

I took a look at the video, and he made sure that the UV's lined up with a 16x16 grid space. I re-unwrapped it and I got this:

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	3249993

I forgot to mention that the shadows casting on the objects were also melted looking, but this unwrap fixed that issue. I also have a slight seam, but there is no bleeding.

I think I fixed the issue, but i can still see a seam, albeit very slight

Comment

can you provide the texture and the mesh so i can reproduce the results.

Comment

I had the same problem some time ago and unfortunetaly no one knew an answer for that , so i ended up making everything non modular.
            I had modular parts of the wall and each one of them had diffrent lighting just like here .

Comment

Originally posted by X3SB View Post
              Hey everyone, I have a problem with my light maps!

Here is the issue. I make my modular object, and I give it a second UV channel, for a light map. To my extent it is unwrapped properly, every individual face is its own island, and there is plenty of marginal space, too:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12781[/ATTACH]

So it should work, but when I bake the lighting, I get a shadow on the edge of the asset.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12783[/ATTACH]

I don't understand, why! I found a trouble shoot page and it showed the exact same issue here, but it says the problem arises when you have no padding, or overlapping UV's, and I have neither.

So what is the problem, then? I know my object is texture unwrapped odd, but that shouldn't have anything to do with it, right?
              you just answered your own question...

you have seams in your lightmap because you unwrapped your lightmap UV set improperly. I don't know who told you to make sure each individual face is its own island- that is wrong and if you walked into a game studio and did that, your art lead would chew your *** out. You're NOT supposed to make your lightmap UV faces individual islands; there's no mystery here...

Last game project I worked on, the outsourcing studio had interns or something just hitting auto unwrap in Maya for the light map UV's, literally f***ed up the whole game, we had to stop everything we were doing and redo the lightmap UV's on hundreds of assets. I wish people would learn once and for all how to lightmap properly, it's not hard. Sorry, rant over.

Comment

I didn't mean faces as in polygons, I meant face in a more literal term, each 'side' of the object was unwrapped and got its own island.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, please don't attack me next time...

Edit:

Also, you can see my unwrap in the post you quoted, and you can see that what you said wasn't the case. I would also like to add that this is my first time unwrapping for light mapping, I'm obviously not going to be a pro at it the first time, that's why I'm doing it on a personal project: To get better at it. So I can be good when if I walk into a studio. And that's why I'm on this forum, asking for help.

Comment

Sorry for the wait... Here you go:

http://www.mediafire.com/folder/a8j2...4lb/wallassets

Maybe if you get it working, I can learn from you!

Comment

your obj is a lot more than the issue you pointed out in your first images. So i created my own test mesh to try and reproduce the issue but was unable to.

http://screencast.com/t/GIFJIjA9JK

http://screencast.com/t/fMcleqfkB0PR

Comment

Found the pillar you used in your screenshot. i just did a quick automap for the lightmap uvs. Yes that's right jak lol. I DUN IT.

however i still didn't notice the issue you were having.

http://screencast.com/t/U8okj7DqH0a0

Comment

Originally posted by DGlow View Post
                        Found the pillar you used in your screenshot. i just did a quick automap for the lightmap uvs. Yes that's right jak lol. I DUN IT.

however i still didn't notice the issue you were having.

http://screencast.com/t/U8okj7DqH0a0
                        Well the issue is when you have multiples of the pillar next to each-other to make a wall.

But what is the issues? Your lightmap unwrap looks very similar to mine.

Comment

http://screencast.com/t/o3SnUGbOK
                          http://screencast.com/t/63O4GaL8X

still no seam. 2 together.

maybe if you sent me just your pillar. uv mapped and lightmapped how you have it (please give fbx not obj)

Comment

Why is the cube shaped pillar using 244 triangles?
                            It only requires 2 per side * 6 sides = 12 triangles.

Comment

Originally posted by X3SB View Post
                              I didn't mean faces as in polygons, I meant face in a more literal term, each 'side' of the object was unwrapped and got its own island.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, please don't attack me next time...

Edit:

Also, you can see my unwrap in the post you quoted, and you can see that what you said wasn't the case. I would also like to add that this is my first time unwrapping for light mapping, I'm obviously not going to be a pro at it the first time, that's why I'm doing it on a personal project: To get better at it. So I can be good when if I walk into a studio. And that's why I'm on this forum, asking for help.
                              lol I wasn't "attacking" you or trying to come off that way, sorry if it seemed that way.

What you want to remember when making your lightmap Uv's for games, is to stitch everything together as much as possible. Try to have a little seams as possible in the UV map by stitching all your islands together. Depending on the model itself, it may be impossible to stitch every boundary edge to another, so try "hiding" seams by placing them somewhere the player will never see, like under the mesh, behind it, above it, etc. The main thing to remember is to not have a ton of seams everywhere; you want to make your UV layout as continuous as possible. Hope that helps.

Comment

Working...
                              X