Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UDK UV Tiling different than 3DS Max

Hey all,

So I've unwrapped my models to specifically use UV Tiling to get the textures to be the correct scale. I've just noticed however that the tiling value that I've set inside Max is not the same as the values in UDK.
    For example, I've created a brick wall model and then I've also created a model of a few bricks extruding from the wall:

The Left is how the bricks look inside 3ds max and the right is how they look in UDK. In both programs I've set the U and V tiling to 16 but as you can see, the tiling inside of UDK doesn't line up correctly.
    I tried playing around with values inside UDK (U and V of 15.5, 15.9 etc.) to get it to match but its a total **** shoot. I've also tried using negative values and Mirroring the U and V in UDK but that doesn't work either.

Anyone have any idea how to get the values to line up? I'd rather not have to unwrap my models again.

Thanks!

never had any problem like that. it looks like there's a problem with your material. could you show a screen-shot of how you have set the tiling?

Comment

I don't use Max, but if you're using some kind of modifier then you may need to apply it before exporting.

Comment

No modifier in max, and there's nothing wrong with the texture. I've simply set the U and V scale to 16 in both programs. In max its done in the material properties and in UDK I'm using a Texture Coordinate node (U + Left Click). Nothing unusual.

Comment

if you reimport the fbx to max is the texture aligned properly still?

Comment

You really shouldn't tile maps for game export in the max material. Do any UV editing in the unwrap modifier. If you want to tile something in there then make it bigger than the 0,1 UV space. Keep your material setting as default, 1 tiling. This way you will get expected results in the UDK and in the UDK you won't need to set any tiling since it's already set on the UV's.

Comment

Oh thats what he did. Good catch, obihb is totally right.

Comment

The other option is to leave the UV in Max at 0...1 no tiling and perform any required tiling in the UDK material.
                But only use this if mesh and texture edges are not critical as you can get texel errors.

Comment

Oh really? I thought that setting the tiling in UDK would be BETTER than scaling the UV. Well then, I guess I'll have to go back and adjust the scale in max. I had no idea it could cause issues.

So here's a question for you then, if you're using a tiling texture and you need your mesh to also tile - IE a modular brick wall - how do you scale the UVS properly to line up? Unless you can scale to exact percentages then you'll loose the seamless tiling of your texture. As far as I know with the default tools in Max 2013, you can only freeform scale UVs not scale by percentage. Right Clicking on the scale tool doesn't allow you to punch in numeric values like it does when scaling meshes.

Comment

I had similar issues when using real-world-scale mapping in max.. turning this off on both the uv modifier and within the material settings produced the expected results in UDK

Comment

Originally posted by TorQueMoD View Post
                      Oh really? I thought that setting the tiling in UDK would be BETTER than scaling the UV. Well then, I guess I'll have to go back and adjust the scale in max. I had no idea it could cause issues.
                      I believe the reason it doesn't work well is that they tile from different points. UDK tiles from the bottom left corner, while I believe max tiles from the center, meaning that everything would be offset.

Comment

Thanks Fo0k.. I just went through and re-did all the unwraps to be scaled beyond the UV bounds. Took a few hours, but its easier this way. Oh yeah, that makes sense Graylord. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                        X