Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

global dust or sand effect

Hey folks,

Iam working on a map set in a desert region. I created some particle effects that give me random "dust storms" in some of the streets of my map. Just composed of a sprite texture which gets emitted and that wanders turbulently in one direction.
    However, when the sand storm is switched off (which it needs to be, because you cannot see much when it is active), the map just does not feel like on a windy and dry day. I would like to have some global "dust/sand-in-the-air" effect. One, that is present always, but only in a subliminal way. Hmm, not sure how to describe it properly^^ I just hope you can get what I mean. Otherwise - just ask, I'll try again

Aaand the big question now is: How to set up an effect like this? I somehow doubt that a particle system will work. Usually, if I decrease the amount of particles spawned, you can clearly see the single sprites and this just looks ugly. Additionally, Iam not sure if it is wise to cover an entire map in particles...
    Maybe there is a clever post-processing-way for adding some "noise/grain/whatsoever" which could give the desired illusion?

Do you have any ideas?

Regards,
    Hackmet

Fog with color of sand?

Comment

Hmm, might contribute, yes.. Although then it would be quite static and without any structure..
      I have to test it, but certainly this could be a part of the solution. Sometimes it's so easy^^

Comment

An interp actor fog xd animated with matinee. But now srsly, I would use one of the following:
        1# Post Proccesing.
        2# Scaleform movie on the hud.
        3# The same way rain is done - attach a particle system to the player.

Comment

Hehe, #3 sounds actually quite interesting! How is this achievable?
          But I will also consider the other two approaches, thanks a lot!!

Comment

also you can use some translucent material with DepthPriorityGroup = SDPG_Foreground

open VCTF-Necropolis map, and there you can find StaticMeshActor_3149. explore it.

Comment

Number 3? Just create a particle system, and use unrealscript/kismet to attach it to the player. So the particles will surround thee player.

Comment

Originally posted by Hackmet View Post
                Hehe, #3 sounds actually quite interesting! How is this achievable?
                Or attach it with kismet:

Click image for larger version

Name:	attachto.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	3249974

Comment

Thanks!
                  But it just came to my mind... Well, we're developing a multiplayer game and Iam quite sure that it would look ridiculous if every player runs around with his own particle system attached Or is there a way to tell UDK that the system will be displayed exclusively for the corresponding player, so that it will be invisible for all the others?

Comment

Yea, just don't replicate it. Or locally, at other players coputers, set it hidden, without replicating it.

Comment

Ah, so when there is only one particle effect (which is constrained to the "player") then it will be shown for every player only for himself? (argh, this is complicated to describe^^)
                      Then this sounds like a quite good option! Although I still like the ScaleForm-Approach as well; have to try it.

Comment

If you spawn a particle system client side, only the client will see it.

Comment

Ah, ok. Didn't know this. Thanks a lot =)

Comment

Working...
                          X