Landscape/Light Building Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landscape/Light Building Issues

Hey, I am about 10 weeks into a environment project. Im having a ridiculous but also very frustrating lighting problem. I have a perfectly contempt computer, but when i try building my lighting with lightmass, i either get a message saying i ran out of memory after about 30mins. or it will run over four hours! I have a lightmass volume in a cave section, and chose not to have it cover the entire level. Based on what I've read this seems like a good idea. I also only have two main lights, a Dominant Directional for shadows, and a skylight to give the shadows light. I have worked with massive amounts of lights in other projects and never had this build problem. I have a feeling that the problem lies in the Landscape. Im not a huge expert but what I know i have learned from Wenda, and his great tutorials.

Here are some pics that might help http://imgur.com/a/gAbK1#0

How much memory do you have? If it's a large map, which it looks like it is then it can take quite a bit of RAM to render the lighting.

Comment

I have 8 gigs of RAM. Do you think placing a lightmass volume over the landscape would help or make things worse?

Comment

Increasing the lightmass importance volumes size won't make things better. What's your landscape size and lightmap resolution?

Comment

skylight should not be used in Lightmass. use EnvironmentColor in World Properties -> Lightmass -> LightmassSettings.

Comment

The lightmass importance volume only adjusts the quality of lighting to focus on that area, it is only used to improve light building speed. It's possible even with 8GB of memory it could legitimately be running out. The only way to fix it is to lower the amount of textures and shadow map sizes or reduce the map size. Or get a more powerful system.

Comment

Landscape size is 1021x1021
              Landscape components: 4623
              Component Size 15:
              Sections per component: 1

My lightmap resolution is 32, maybe i'll try 12 or 6, see what happens

Comment

Try to use one of these landscapes sizes: http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Lands...dscape%20Sizes

I got this from this thread: http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/...f-video-memory

Comment

32 lightmap resolution is very high for landscape in my opinion. I wouldnt go above 8 unless you really have to.

Comment

4623 components is definitely not recommended for use.
                    You should never use landscape dimensions that equal more than 1024 total components and even then I personally recommend no more than 256 components.
                    This strict minimal number of allowable dimensions is one of the limitations of Landscape.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. only problem is that I originally had it set at 1009 x1009 but the component sizes where way too large for me to make a small cave, by deleting a section. So i converted it down. I've tried both 256 and 64 but they are still too large of a selection. Is there any way to make the components small enough for a cave and still keep it at 1009?

Comment

You can use the landscape visibility tool instead of deleting whole components.
                        http://www.unrealengine.com/images/s...le-640x827.jpg

Comment

wow thanks the visibility tool is definitely alot better. now im having a completely different problem. I did what someone suggested and redid my landscape in at 1009 with 64 components, painted it and everything. But now the visibility tool crashes everytime i try using it.

Comment

Working...
                          X