foliage moves with wind?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

foliage moves with wind?

hi, ive seen a few things when i've looked up making grass, and foliage move with the wind, but each tutorial i watch arn't very helpful. am i just suppost to use an animation but always have it face a specific way? so if someone to help me with this i would appreciate it.

does anyone else have experience with this?

Comment

You model the mesh, create your UV's then paint the vertices to detemine what part of the mesh is affected by wind.

Then you build the material that reacts to the wind and apply it to your mesh.

http://minifloppy.it/tutorials/udk-wind-vertex-shader/

Comment

thanks a bunch

Comment

Open up FoliageMap.udk map (comes with UDK), pretty much all foliage materials there have material systems set up in such way, that WindDirection actor could affect them and thus create wind animation. Go and find master material for one of the foliage meshes, open up that material (not instance, but parent material that instances use).

Now this whole node network that is plugged into WorldPositionOffset handles wind animation. You can basically copy paste this into your own foliage material, BUT keep in mind that this node network is rather unoptimized, it isn't that bad for performance, but if you need just a very simple wind animation you can go with something much less complex.

Another thing to keep in mind in that most (if not all) of those meshes were vertex painted, so that you could use vertex painted parts to mask out certain areas to behave in certain way. For example, take an ordinary grass patch. You want grass patch near ground to be unaffected by wind, because grass there (IRL) connects to the ground, therefore shouldn't move, so you can paint it with black color. Then middle parts should be moving somewhat, but not too much, therefore you can paint it with dark red color. Then tips of the grass should be moving at full speed, so you can paint them with bright red color. This way grass patch will be affected gradually, and will look much more realistic than without vertex colors. Not every foliage mesh needs that though.

Tutorial that Chicken+Ribs Combo posted is pretty nice, explains most of the things you want to know about that wind animation.

Comment

If Your using 3ds Max.......I would use http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/PivotPainterTool.html
            Seems the way to go...I use Blender 3D(paint vertex colours there). There can be many different material setups for animated foliage, depending on the plant!!
            Without "Speedtree" or "Pivot Painter".......I would leave this to near end level completion.....IMO

Comment

If i was you, i would just use speedTree. It comes with UDK, and it is rather easy to use, i picked up on how to use it on the first tutorial that i watched. Gave me the basics, and from there i began to create my own foliage, that moved with the wind. If i was to tell you whether to create the tree's, or bushes in 3dMax, or SpeedTree, i would say that speedtree is a better piece of software to use, as it is created for the purpose, or creating realistic foliage, simply.

Comment

Working...
              X