Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seriously - is there any way to get crisp shadows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seriously - is there any way to get crisp shadows?

'Crisp' here meaning not fuzzy as hell - a clean black line defining the shadow just like the editor does in real time with no hassle.
    Here, for example, I've given the BSP floor a high lightmap resolution and thrown a point light with the smallest source radius across it and tried so many things in an attempt to improve the quality with no luck.

Production lighting:

Editor Lit Game view:

Decrease the lightmap res on BSP or vice versa on static mesh.

Comment

In the image, it is at 2. I mentioned that I'd done this in the original post.

Comment

Break the floor into smaller pieces so there's more maps covering the same area. Keep those maps at maximum res.

or..

Go with a dynamic shadow and make it very high res, which is essentially what you're getting on the 2nd shot there.

or..

Work it out so you can use a dominant light (only one can touch any model at any given time).. (so it takes a bit of creative use). What that gives you though is the distance field shadows which can be low res shadows but with a sharp look and you can sharpen or blur them directly within the light properties.

Don't know if you care about frame rate at all, but anything you do to get sharp shadows is ultimately gonna have negative effect on frame rates. It just depends on how much you do of it on screen at once trying to get these sharp shadows. Stencil shadows would have worked for you here, but you have to deal with shadow maps.. so it's a different story.

The cheapest solution here is the dominant light but also very limited by the fact you can only basically use one in a room or within a radius. It has the ability to give sharp shadows with lower res light maps.

You'll have to play around and see what works for you though. Funny that you want these sharp shadows now where these days, everything is blurry and where back in the day, with Doom3 engine games or similar, using stencil shadows, that's all you had, nothing blurry, only sharp. That's irony.. I guess..

Comment

Working...
        X