(Solved) [Problem] Fluid bad looking triangular waves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(Solved) [Problem] Fluid bad looking triangular waves

Hi! Working with fluids I got a FluidSurfaceActor, created a WaterVolume and a PostProcessVolume to simulate water. Looks quite well, but to make it more realistic I increased the Fluid Height and now when Pawn impacts with strenght to the water it causes some bad looking fast triangular shaped waves.

How can I solve that? I've been trying with most Fluid properties (about quads, detail, etc.) but could not improve the result.

Here's an image.

Click image for larger version

Name:	badlookingwater.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	3253328

Can someone help?

Comment

you can just decrease the grid spacing value, and there will be more polygons per area.
      the downside is that the distance at which the fluid tesselation will end will be shorter, but for such a small area you're not likely to notice it at all

alternatively, you can just increase the simulation quads to get more polygons overall

Comment

Originally posted by Chosker View Post
        you can just decrease the grid spacing value, and there will be more polygons per area.
        the downside is that the distance at which the fluid tesselation will end will be shorter, but for such a small area you're not likely to notice it at all

alternatively, you can just increase the simulation quads to get more polygons overall
        Thanks for answering, but that couldn't solve my problem.

Simulation quads seem not to affect the fluid at all (I changed it from 200 to 10000 and could not notice changes) and lowering the grid spacing solves the triangular shape, but in a level (grid spacing between 1 and 4) that also makes the fluid move terribly slow so it's not what I want.

I also had tried with the tesselation property before, but it also didn't seem to affect the fluid at all.

Any more ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by Riser View Post
          Any more ideas?
          no not really. if lowering the grid spacing and then tweak the fluid speed and such values to match doesn't work for you, I'm not sure there's much else you can do

Comment

The problem might by because of the material or because of the fluid? I mean, the waves looked just fine before modifying the Fluid Height, and maybe the material is not supposed to be applied to a fluid in this conditions. Or is it because another property of the FluidSurfaceActor?

Comment

no, the oddness you'r seeing are polygons so it's the mesh alteration of the fluid. the material would only be relevant with the normalmap part of the fluid, which in this case is not.

the waves looked fine before modifying the fluid height because the polygons were not so much stretched vertically, and therefore the "low polygon" look wasn't visible because the fluid was flat (but it still had as little polygons as it does now)

again I don't see why the fluid spacing won't work for you. I just opened the editor and changing fluid spacing for a smaller value makes the polygons be closer together (which causes the tesselated area to be smaller)

also to fix the fluid moving slow just increase the fluid surface's fluid speed (or is it called fluid wave speed?)

Comment

@Chosker, I really appreciate your efforts to help. Finally the waves look a lot better, not perfect, but quite good-looking.

What I've done? You told me to change the Fluid Travel Speed, but it was already set to 1 (the maximum for this property). But that gave me another idea, that was to combine two properties: increase the Fluid Update Rate (which made triangular shaped waves to look smoother, but also made the whole water movement too fast) and decrease Fluid Travel Speed to compensate the effect of increasing the update rate. Then modifying a bit the Grid Spacing it look even better.

So the triangular waves are now smoother (they are much less sharper), they are still noticeable when jumping to water but doesn't look so bad.

So thank you again Chosker for your attention, this problem is now solved.

Comment

Working...
                X