How big can you build a single map ..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How big can you build a single map ..?

Can you build an infinite map or landscape?
    In other words you have UDK simply crop the area that you are moving around in and only calculate new terrain or
    landscape "once you get within range"?
    Kinda like the LOD where very distant objects' poly count is dumb ed down.
    What I am getting at is building a gigantic map that you just keep building and building over the years and maybe with other
    people too.
    Kinda like EVE, a world that is always "in progress".
    Without having to close on map or level and have the next one load.
    Just all in one.

a UDK level has boundaries. if you open the editor and you zoom all the way out you'll see this blue box which is the maximum playable area.
    you can't go out of it (camera gets blocked, objects probably are too) and it's limited like that because of floating point number inaccuracies with such large numbers or something like that.
    what you can do to make your area "bigger" is to make objects smaller. but be careful with this, as too small objects will cause problems as well. making stuff to half their scale, maybe 1/5th or 1/10th could work but I've never tried it so I can't be sure

Comment

EVE does not use maps or levels in the traditional sense. It's an empty void where objects representing planets and ships are dynamically spawned as needed. Also the scales of a space environment like EVE cannot be accurately represented in a 'static level'. It requires a lot of supporting code, or a game engine specifically designed for it, to manage such a universe in a convincing way.

Comment

O.k. great answers, thanks guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Chosker View Post
          a UDK level has boundaries. if you open the editor and you zoom all the way out you'll see this blue box which is the maximum playable area.
          you can't go out of it (camera gets blocked, objects probably are too) and it's limited like that because of floating point number inaccuracies with such large numbers or something like that.
          what you can do to make your area "bigger" is to make objects smaller. but be careful with this, as too small objects will cause problems as well. making stuff to half their scale, maybe 1/5th or 1/10th could work but I've never tried it so I can't be sure
          Yeah I just went out as far as I could go and you hit the blue boundary box. Pretty massive though :-)

Comment

At the engine default units of 1 unreal unit = 2cm the engine "world" size of 524288x524288 is approximately 10km x 10km.
            You should restrict your playfield to the central 5km or less though.

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/TerrainDesign.html

Comment

Originally posted by DGUnreal View Post
              At the engine default units of 1 unreal unit = 2cm the engine "world" size of 524288x524288 is approximately 10km x 10km.
              You should restrict your playfield to the central 5km or less though.

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/TerrainDesign.html
              Great link and info thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Chosker View Post
                ... making stuff to half their scale, maybe 1/5th or 1/10th could work but I've never tried it so I can't be sure
                You can only safely go down to around 1/2 scale (1uu=4cm, and all objects 1/2 real-world scale, with 20km x 20km world) otherwise you will run into issues with the physics engine and things like line-checks (collision, hits, etc.) will start to miss objects that are too small. You may get 1/3 or 1/4 depending on asset design but it is not recommended by Epic.

Comment

Working...
                X