X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scale, units in UDK ...

What is one foot or one meter in UDK?
    Anyone knows?
    I work in LightWave and like to work with real sizes.
    So if I build map, mostly in lets say Blender or LightWave and use real scale / references, how can I make sure that I import and feature that in the same scale in UDK?
    Or how do I scale everything in relation to the "player mesh or bot" so that nothing is way too big or too small?
    Or do you just "wing it" and go by eye?
    Do you typically set up your basic map first, like pathways and staircases, scale that by eye until it looks or feels right, and then just scale everything else by eye relative to that?
    Or is there a simple way to say player is 6 feet tall and everything can be scaled in real feet or metric units in the map that would make real world sense?
    If UDK is used for architectural walk troughs there must be a way to reference real world scale.

I'm not sure about lightwave or blender, but I know 3ds Max. In UU (Unreal Units) a character is about 96 UU tall. Max's units map directly to UU, so 96 units in Max (meters or inches) equals 96 UU in UDK. A foot is about 16 UU and a meter is about 45 UU. There should be a way to figure out how lightwave's or blender's scale compares to 3ds Max.

Comment

O.k. great thanks. Yeah I was just wondering about size, mass, momentum and speed. If I want that to look realistic in UDK in relation to the view port / player I would think scale would be an important issue. I know you can set your mass, etc. independently so it probably doesn't really matter but I was just wondering ...

Comment

1 blender unit = 1 unreal unit

Comment

Originally posted by smokey13 View Post
          1 blender unit = 1 unreal unit

There seems to be a lot of love between Blender and UDK. Is that a coincidence? Blender also starts up with a big cube which looks a lot like the default builder brush in UDK ... mmm.
          Blender has a built in game engine too ... mmm.

Comment

Originally posted by eandlau View Post
            There seems to be a lot of love between Blender and UDK. Is that a coincidence?
            i think most software uses roughly the same sizes for there units, so if it is a coincidence its a happy one

Blender has a built in game engine too ... mmm.
            it can be used to make films to, for a free piece of software it's AUSOME

Comment

There seems to be a lot of love between Blender and UDK. Is that a coincidence?
              It's brilliant and free. Therein lies it's appeal.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoof View Post
                It's brilliant and free. Therein lies it's appeal.
                Yeah I looked at the prices online for Maya and Max. Cant believe people actually buy those programs.
                Wonder if we will get to a stage where all programs are open source and free ... with a strings attached here and there of course.

Comment

You can set your scale to whatever you want. Making one UU/BU equal to one cm or inch makes it quite easy to work with but if you want to build really huge maps (according to your other thread) you might want to make all objects and characters smaller than that.

Comment

Originally posted by mAlkAv!An View Post
                    You can set your scale to whatever you want. Making one UU/BU equal to one cm or inch makes it quite easy to work with but if you want to build really huge maps (according to your other thread) you might want to make all objects and characters smaller than that.
                    O.k. thanks.

Comment

Yeah I looked at the prices online for Maya and Max. Cant believe people actually buy those programs.
                      Wonder if we will get to a stage where all programs are open source and free ... with a strings attached here and there of course.
                      Well they're tools with a specific market. Their price reflects a number of factors from the cost of development, maintenance, client support and the number of actual units shipped. Any tool for a professional industry is an investment - individual artists purchase it because they can make money from the results, but a lot of the cost is absorbed by studios who purchase multiple licenses for their staff.

Blender is free because of its amazing community and the vision of Ton Roosendaal. If you actually costed all the man hours that have gone into maintaining it, it'd probably be more expensive than the others combined

Also Max and Maya, like Photoshop, are industry standards that are used in the educational process, so many artists arrive in the industry expecting to use them. It's only the last two years that Blender has been able to stand proud, due mostly to some private investment that drove the redevelopment of its UI and core. Before then it was a royal PITA to use

Comment

Hi, I am using Lightwave 11 and exporting to UDK as well... and I found somewhere over internet, that if you export FBX in lightwave using 0.128 in scale size, it matches UDK units 1 = 1.
                        I tried and for me it´s actually 0.256... fits perfectly for me.
                        But I still have the problem with NO smoothing groups from lightwave to UDK... have you got the same issue?

See ya!

Comment

The default scale in UDK is 1UU = 2cm.

But the mesh importer doesn't care what scale you set Max/Maya/Blender. 1 unit in the modelling software will always equate to 1 UU.

Comment

So is there a way to configure the units in UDK to be what you want them to be, i.e 1 UU = 1m etc.

Comment

Not in UDK, no.

That said, you could simply decide that 1UU = 1m, and model at that scale. The only side effect of doing this would be (I believe) potential odd behaviour with sound and physics, but you might not even notice anything wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X