More than one terrain in one map ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More than one terrain in one map ...

Can you create "floating mini terrains" in UDK in terrain mode?
    Lets say a giant floating chess board with each square an independent terrain. (with space between each square).
    Can you animate these "little square terrains" so that they float around and underneath each other?

I know geometry with collision meshes would work here but I want the world to have terrain characteristics so I would be able to walk or climb around on them, add water, etc.

Or can you only create one big terrain per map?

Here is a perfect example of what I am talking about.
    However these squares are probably brushes inside UDK or static meshes.
    Wanna know if you can make each of those floating platforms a terrain.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvHU2cqdhFA

Comment

I think you are somewhat in the wrong track. UDK Terrain/Landscape and meshes does not behave that differently. Terrains are meant to be used for what the name says, terrains. Therefore they have certain features which make it comfortable to work with, integrated LoD, you can edit them inside the editor or easily paint the textures.
      I can see no reason why you would want to create something floating, independently moving platforms out of a terrain.

Comment

A map can have multiple Terrain or Landscape actors.
        However, if you want moving platforms those are Interpactors.
        Small Terrain or Landscape actors are not suited for this.
        You should use small custom staticmeshes. If you want terrain-like features on the small staticmeshes just create them that way in the 3D app (eg heightmap displaced tessellated top).

Comment

O.k. great answers. Thanks guys. I am just learning UDK and game design so I ask a lot of BS questions :-)

Comment

Working...
          X