best texture resolution for terrain.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

best texture resolution for terrain.

I am working on landscapes and have applied a nice color map now I'm preparing to create and apply materials. I'm looking at CGtextures.com but I'm unsure what resolution I should be using for my material textures. Should I just use the highest resolutions available?

Originally posted by Stadius View Post
    I am working on landscapes and have applied a nice color map now I'm preparing to create and apply materials. I'm looking at CGtextures.com but I'm unsure what resolution I should be using for my material textures. Should I just use the highest resolutions available?
    It's better to use a lower resolution, such as 512, or 1024 if you just have to have a little higher resolution, then set up the tiling properly in the material.

You can't use textures bigger than 4096x4096 in UDK, and as far as I know, most games would never require anything bigger than 2048x2048, and that tends to be reserved for important character models, not environments.

Comment

Thanks, I knew that 4096 was the largest texture handled by UDK. I just figured that a material texture of 4096x4096 used on the ground would have alot better detail than a 512x512 version.

Comment

Originally posted by Stadius View Post
        Thanks, I knew that 4096 was the largest texture handled by UDK. I just figured that a material texture of 4096x4096 used on the ground would have alot better detail than a 512x512 version.
        With clever techniques with tiling and layering, a few 512 textures would be just fine.

Comment

Thanks,

Any tutorials on these techniques?

Comment

It depends entirely on the type of terrain you are creating and the art direction of the levels.
            One of the issues with attempting to use multiple small textures to create visual variety is the harsh limits on the total texture samplers supported in Landscape's materials.
            One of my UDN pages may help: Terrain Advanced Textures

Comment

Originally posted by DGUnreal View Post
              One of my UDN pages may help: Terrain Advanced Textures
              Excellent source, and it's techniques can be applied to large scale assets too. (I've used it plenty for rocks and cliffs)

Comment

Thanks. I need to write an updated UDN page specific to Landscape some time.

Comment

Wow. thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X