Making a Building, Texturing Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making a Building, Texturing Question

I have chosen to use UDK to construct a virtual Tour of a building. I'm using a 3D modelling program to make the building and to set up the props. But when it comes to texturing I have no idea where to start. I was hoping the .fbx export would export the planar mapped textures I applied in the software, but it only imports the images and they can't be applied to different areas of the mesh

Does UDK only handle UV mapped textures? I have no problem creating the materials, but is there any easy way to be able to texture the walls and floors without UV mapping as the software I'm using 'Lightwave' is awful for UV mapping. I was hoping to be able to drag and drop the materials on to the planes...but UDK treats the whole object as a single surface static Mesh. Aside from UV mapping, is the another way? Or of there isn't, how would I go about learning how to texture this beast of a building and import into UDK. I have 3DS Max installed but tend not to use it for modelling

I'm just hoping I don't have to UV Map is all...if that's the only way, then I'll have to use it

In general, game engines require UVMapping for models, this includes Unreal Engine.

Comment

UV Mapping is a pretty staple part of making models for game engines unfortunately, and you'll also find it much more beneficial to learn how to use 3DS Max for modelling (That or Maya), as most of the exporters for Unreal are based on one of these two bits of software.

It is quite a ball-ache to learn by yourself, but what I suggest is finding some tutorials on getting started in either program and going from there. A program tailored towards UDK would be even better. For good tutorials at a reasonable price I recommend 3DMotive very highly. It will require a lot of sitting down and patience on your part, but will be ultimately worthwhile!

Comment

Working...
      X