Making holes in Landscapes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    You do not need to delete components to carve holes in your terrain, simply use the visibility tool in the region tool set and ctrl+lmb to remove small sections of your terrain. The sections it hides are not exactly tiny but they are not huge regions either so you should be fine patching the hole with a nice cave mouth mesh.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by TorQueMoD View Post
    You know what sucks? Cutting holes in my landscape with visibility causes the editor to instantly crash. So I removed the material like someone else suggested and it fixed the problem... until I re-applied the material. Then it instantly crashes again. Not to mention that the visibility disappears when you build the map but the collision is still gone so you just fall through a hole you can't see. I can't believe the landscape is still this buggy so long after release.
    And I wasn't planning to use the streaming for this game. Just thinking to the future.
    Hi TorQueMoD, your right I am beginning to use UDK now that those tools are already in UDK, and checking the history of this tool on the web, I saw that many other people got those many crashes. I imagine how frustrating it must be for you after so much time. Anyway my friend... good luck for you in your project, and thanks for replying!

See ya

Leave a comment:

• replied
    You know what sucks? Cutting holes in my landscape with visibility causes the editor to instantly crash. So I removed the material like someone else suggested and it fixed the problem... until I re-applied the material. Then it instantly crashes again. Not to mention that the visibility disappears when you build the map but the collision is still gone so you just fall through a hole you can't see. I can't believe the landscape is still this buggy so long after release.
    And I wasn't planning to use the streaming for this game. Just thinking to the future.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Korvash View Post
    The visibility tool is down in the region tools, looks like an eye. its used in both terrain, and landscape
    Hi Guys, this my first post and you both just solve my problem, same one TorQueMoD had... so thanks Korvash.. really helpful!
    See ya!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    It will depend entirely on your game design. You had mentioned a flying game (a bird a plane or superman I assume) in that case there is no benefit. Additional info would be required.
    Just like Landscape components, if you can see it (if it is in the frustum) it will be loaded and rendered.
    If you want to be able to see to the horizon, you need to render to the horizon.
    Reducing the FOV can reduce the number of components in the frustum.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    [this thread] explains it a little. from what I could make of it, streaming works server-side (the server streams all the maps that all clients need) and client-side (the client only streams the maps he needs)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I've been wondering if level streaming works in Multiplayer maps? Not likely huh or would it just only remove the portions of the level that absolutely no one is occupying? Or even better if its local/client based and not server based.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by DGUnreal View Post
    If your landscape is using 16 components such as 1017x1017 16-comps, chances are 8+ components are typically rendered. You would have to be near the map edge to render fewer than that.
    Typically you will have a very large number of triangles for a landscape regardless of your position, since a large number of components are typically in the frustum since you are typically playing in the center of the map.
    you can also save pieces of your landscape into streamed levels and then use distance-based level streaming. I did that on a large-scale landscape test map I had and it was easy to cull down the rendering distance

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Cool, thanks for the info. Yeah we're going to use a mix of landscape and static meshes obviously but now that I know how to cut holes properly, its definitely a lot easier to use landscape. Thanks for all the feedback guys!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by TorQueMoD View Post
    Interesting. You obviously know a lot more about this than I do. The reason I was saying that a static mesh wouldn't be as optimized was based on the fact that in mesh form, one "Component" of my landscape is about 135K tris. Then again, I had only broken it up into 16 components. Still I would imagine that rendering out 4 of these to the scene (as you say you're likely to have at least 4 in view at any time if not more) would be extremely taxing on the user's system. Not to mention that if you have to switch over to a per-poly collision you'd essentially be doubling the tri count of every component. Also in my case, our game consists of a considerable amount of flight so you're likely to be rendering at least half the landscape at once when flying so you'd need some really well made LODs in order for this to be manageable.
    Long time terrain obsession for a couple of decades.

In my previous post, I meant that with a 4-component Landscape that 3-of-4 or all 4-of-4 components are typically rendered, ie. the entire landscape.
    If your landscape is using 16 components such as 1017x1017 16-comps, chances are 8+ components are typically rendered. You would have to be near the map edge to render fewer than that.
    If it were not for the real-time distance LOD mips the triangle count would be the entire equivalent mesh. Instead it is somewhere around 1/2 to 1/3 the total mesh tri's.
    You can easily see this using the Viewport Options flags -> Show -> Advanced -> Terrain Patches which is a left-over from the Terrain actor and is now the yellow wire cubes that outline the Landscape component extents.
    Create a 511x511 4-component Landscape, show Terrain Patches to see the yellow wire extent cubes, stand at origin 0,0,0 and look towards one corner and take one step back and all 4 components are now being rendered (you can see at least one vertex in all 4 components).
    Do the same with a 1017x1017 16-comps Landscape and one step back from origin and 9 components are being rendered.

Note: The same thing can be done in my software using the Scene -> Object Bounds flag.

Run the PIE window in spectator mode (Ctrl+Play) on a map with nothing but a landscape and use the 'stat engine' console command and look at the 'static mesh tris'.
    Fly off of the edge of the landscape or look straight up at nothing then back at the landscape.
    Typically you will have a very large number of triangles for a landscape regardless of your position, since a large number of components are typically in the frustum since you are typically playing in the center of the map. Note that afaik the value is triangles per object for all passes so a staticmesh of ~3400 tri's will be ~20k tris in the stats assuming 6 passes for textures, lights, etc.

If you are doing a large open flying game, chances are Landscape will be much easier to work with, even if it is not necessarily the most render efficient method. If you start needing cliffs, overhangs and caves though, it can be work to do all of the staticmesh pieces.

And Landscape and Terrain also has a per-polygon built-in collision system FYI.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Korvash View Post
    The visibility tool is down in the region tools, looks like an eye. its used in both terrain, and landscape
    OH MY GOD! Thank you Korvash! This is what I was talking about! This is exactly what I was looking for thank you! I thought it was crazy to not have this feature!

Leave a comment:

• replied

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Where's the visibility tool? I think that's a terrain feature is it not? For Landscapes I think you can only delete components

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Regarding cutting a hole into a Landscape, you just need to use the Visibility tool. Its what i use to cut in the holes for caves with the landscape system.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Interesting. You obviously know a lot more about this than I do. The reason I was saying that a static mesh wouldn't be as optimized was based on the fact that in mesh form, one "Component" of my landscape is about 135K tris. Then again, I had only broken it up into 16 components. Still I would imagine that rendering out 4 of these to the scene (as you say you're likely to have at least 4 in view at any time if not more) would be extremely taxing on the user's system. Not to mention that if you have to switch over to a per-poly collision you'd essentially be doubling the tri count of every component. Also in my case, our game consists of a considerable amount of flight so you're likely to be rendering at least half the landscape at once when flying so you'd need some really well made LODs in order for this to be manageable.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X