Preset Lighting Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preset Lighting Question

SOLVED! - Hey everyone, this is probably an extremely basic question and that is because I have only recently started learning UDK. My issue is that I have created a level with the preset 'Night Lighting' which you have as an option when going to file>new. This preset lighting has caused terrain sand texture to look nothing like sand at all and more like snow. I would preferably like to change to the mid-day lighting preset and was wondering if there was any way of doing this without having to start over again. If not, which settings would I have to change for the lighting to have an affect on the terrain and make it darker/more yellow. Thank you very much and I've attached an image below of the difference so you can see what I mean!!
    Thanks again,
    Rich

Rotate the light for starters to get it to a later type of lighting setup.

After that it's really just tweaking the environment lighting in world properties. You could open up two different instances of UDK and on one, load up your map, and on the other, open up the template map you want to have the lighting from and just copy over the settings exactly in the world properties and just rotate the light where you need it.

Comment

You could also open the mid-day scene, delete everything but the light and the sky dome, and then save it as a different map. And then load it to your current scene as a sub lvl(in Levels tab of content browser Level>Add Existing Level), get rid of the night light and sky, then move the mid-day setup to your persistent level.

Edit: You may want to do this the other way around to keep the world settings of the day light map, or just tweak them yourself as Jessie said.

Comment

Perfect! Worked a treat! Thank you very much!!!

Comment

For future reference, theres a couple of things influencing how the game looks on the different presets. The major thing is the dominant directional light that's inside the square block in the middle. It controls the brightness and color of the sun/moon and which way it's pointing determines where the sun/moon is in the sky. The skyboxes are setup to automatically draw a sun/moon corresponding to the direction the single skybox affecting dominant directional light in the level is pointing. If you have more than one dominant directional light, you will have to make sure that the others have the skybox affecting option disabled, otherwise the sun/moon will dissapear. The skybox itself just uses different material instances of a master sky material, if you right click the skybox and select find in content browser, it will take you to the different skys. Just drag and drop the material instances of the different skys into the skybox mesh, to change the appearance. The third thing is your post processing and color correction, I think all the default levels use the same post processing chain, you can setup your own if you aren't happy with the way things look, I find the default one to be too bright and too bloomy.

Comment

Working...
          X