Breaking particle effects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breaking particle effects

I'm trying to create breaking effect for some objects.

Here are items.

And their pieces.

So, I'm trying to do that effect with adding PhysX Mesh Data in a particle system, but in game, particles are very slow. If I switch mode to Unlit, for example, they become faster. Does PhysX particles simulation depends on framerate?

Particles definitely depend on framerate because your machine is calcluting the things. I had some problems with crashes using Physx and I changed to DX11 and the framerate fell. I returned to DX9 and suddenly no crashes and faster frames. My machine is quad core so everything's pretty smooth, so I'm only talking -20 frames, but my worry is people who play my wip game will have slower machines, and I'm pretty severe about pruning particles and other stuff that don't 100% matter to the game.

Your pumpkins and vases don't seem to be high poly, just the vines maybe. But it matters of course how many pieces you slice them into. Maybe you could redo so a vase breaks into maybe, 4 only pieces not 50 or so, perhaps.

Comment

Vases have up to 175 vertices, pumpkin with vines near 500. Particle systems spawn just 15-25 physical pieces.
      I've downloaded PhysXParticlesStarterKit from UDN, it's also slow.

Comment

Then try the absolute minimum particles and then work slowly to the max. A selection of low poly to high in your mesh library never hurts. Use the hi poly stuff for a small play area, for example. Ultra low for large environments. It's all about compromise.

Comment

Working...
        X