Lighting is too glowy and over-bright

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    The grass shown here is nothing but the grass that came with the foliage demo, but with the diffuse channel changed.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Do the assets have lightmaps?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    It is possible that lightmass is grossly over-exaggerating the problem too. Might be worth checking the diffuse bounce in both lightmass and the material settings. I would turn it down pretty low in the material.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Strange. I remembered using lots of grass in UDK asset with Midday template. But they look all green and all. Any chance you tweaked on the light or the WorldInfo?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Looking at it, both the texture and lighting are quite bright; if your directional light is pure white with a brightness of 5 and your texture is something like a flat 200,220,150, then the output could conceivably be 1000,1100,750 - which is likely going to look very bright and glowing

I usually try to avoid directional lights with brightnesses greater than around 1; the default UDK maps do use some strangely bright lights.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Lighting is too glowy and over-bright

Lighting is too glowy and over-bright

I've created some grass using mostly a solid color. (I'm trying to match a desired artistic style.) But once all the lighting has been built, the grass is super-bright; brighter than the original texture. Way brighter.

I've filled in the corner with the original color, which is what I want the hills to look like, maybe a little brighter in the direct light, and shadowed on the shady side.
    I also tried creating a texture to cover the hills with when they are distanced from the camera, so it still looks like grass. I started off using a solid color, the same color in the corner, but this also turned into this super-bright off-white that glows.

This was built starting with the default mid-day lighting map. I'm really not accustomed to working with lightmass and so I don't know how to tweak this.
Working...
X