Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Improving shadow quality on Landscapes

Hey all,

I'm working on a landscape for my game project and I'm noticing some issues with shadows.

Basically put, shadows look fine when you're up close, but off in the distance they all look completely hard edged and this looks horrid on the landscape. Is there a way to soften the shadows in the distance on a landscape? I've spent all night reading the UDN documentation on lighting and shadows and I couldn't find any mention of how to adjust the shadow quality on landscapes. I tried adjusting the Whole Scene Dynamic Shadow Radius, WSDS Cascades and Cascade Distribution Exponent to 1024, 4 and 4 respectively but that didn't seem to do anything other than make my build time increase.

If anyone knows how to approach this it would be greatly appreciated.

No one has any idea how to fix this?

Comment

That's because landscapes use LOD, the mesh dynamically becomes simpler the farther it is from you, and this causes the shadows to become simpler because they are directly related to the size of the landscape polygons I believe. You would need to set your landscape to do it's LOD transition a bit farther out; I don't know exactly how to do that. And use fog+ DOF blur for the distance.

Comment

Setting the landscape LOD is easy, you just open the landscape properties and set the MaxLODLevel to something other than -1 but considering its set to -1 to begin with, I don't think the shadows are based on the landscape's LOD scale because it doesn't have an LOD setup right now. I actually found that adjusting the Environment color to match the color of my Dominant Directional light actually helped to clean up the shadows a lot as it makes them all a lot brighter. There's still the occasional glitchy looking shadow, but I think once I actually fill the landscape with some props it will help to mask any weird looking shadows.

Comment

Working...
        X