Ran out of video memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ran out of video memory

I've started a map; I'm building it with Landscape, which I've never used before.

All this map has in it is a landscape, which isn't even set up with materials yet. I told the editor to build all because I was curious how the shadows would look in the small portion I had crafted so far. It was busy for a very long while, I was busy looking at stuff on the web, and the computer forcibly reboot. I opened up the editor and told it to build all again, this time with nothing else going on so I could watch it. Eventually I reach the point where it declared to me "Ran out of video memory" and the program closed itself down.

I've really got nothing in this level except some totally unfinished landscape and some lighting. If I can't get it to computer lighting for this, how can I get it to work when I cover my land with foliage?

So I'm hoping someone can tall me what major no-no I mistakenly committed so I can correct the issue and get back to work.

Here's the map file if you want to open it up for yourself.

http://calebchild.boldlygoingnowhere...oblemLevel.zip

hi I just downloaded your map and hit build all(using preview lighting) and it worked fine. it took my laptop 6:00mins to build map and 1:43mins to build lighting. also when UDK is building lighting/maps it takes a lot of processor power and you shouldn't do anything else on your computer till it's finished. if your still having problems with build all I can re upload your map(fully built but only preview lighting) so you can download it.

Comment

If he downloads the map from you fully built, the built lighting will just disappear when he adds something else.

What are your PC specs? This could have a lot to do with why it won't build for you.

Comment

true but he said he only wanted to see what a bit he crafted look's like

Comment

Try building lighting again after cleaning Swarm cache, and as smokey said you shouldnt be doing anything else till it's finished.

Comment

Originally posted by smokey13 View Post
            true but he said he only wanted to see what a bit he crafted look's like
            I doubt he'd go "oh that looks nice" then never touch his project again though. Just sayin'.

Comment

Originally posted by JessieG View Post
              I doubt he'd go "oh that looks nice" then never touch his project again though. Just sayin'.
              I know my mind may be fried but im not that dumb

Comment

It's a nice offer, but I really need to solve the issue.

I have a lesser computer than one should for developing, but I have had no problem rebuilding maps before. I can rebuild the demo maps that come with UDK no problem. But this map has nothing but a landscape. Is this a problem with something I set up or failed to set up within landscape? Or is landscape, which is still considered a work-in-progress, not going to build properly on my lesser machine?
                I guess I could switch back to terrain if I have to...

Anyway, my specs are
                AMD Athlon 3800+ 2.41 Ghz (single core)
                2.5 Gigs of RAM
                NVidea GForce GT 520 (1024 megs)

A budget computer, but it is more than capable of running UDK, and modern games can run smoothly with a fair amount of tweaking.

Comment

I think it's probably your machine looking at your specs

Comment

How big is the landscape? Did you use one of the sizes in the chart on the UDN or just a random size?

Comment

Switching to terrain will only give you more trouble. Dont know if you've done already but try what we suggested and dont keep your computer busy while building lights. I have 4gb ram and a 4 core cpu but even i dont touch anything while building. Btw, i had that out of memory warning before and it was because of that Swarm cache thingy i mentioned. Consider that as well, just in case.

Comment

Originally posted by smokey13 View Post
                        I think it's probably your machine looking at your specs
                        That's a load of ****. The message said I ran out of video memory, and my video memory is a gig. That's still pretty common. (Not that it makes any sense to me why my video card's memory would be used for this.) And I can build every scene that comes with UDK. I have no problem with complex scenes with thousands of actors. This is just one big piece of landscape, nothing complex about it.
                        I've met every requirement Epic has set to be able to build with UDK.

Comment

Okay, this is definitely NOT an issue with my computer, but an issue with Landscape.
                          I just built the same size chunk of land using terrain, and it could build that scene just fine. I even covered it with tens of thousands of grass meshes with foliage, and it built that. (It took about six hours, though.) And I even had GIMP and Chrome open when I did it.
                          So, there is some issue with Landscape which is clogging up my system, some issue that does not occur with Terrain.

Comment

What is the size exactly that you set up in the landscape tool? I can create the biggest size that epic has listed in the UDN with no issues baking the lighting so its either your machine, or you're setting something up incorrectly when you first create the landscape.

Comment

are you using one of these sizes?
                              http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Lands...dscape%20Sizes

Comment

Working...
                              X