Bestwork flow for maya -> UDK for multiple walls with UVLight Meshes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bestwork flow for maya -> UDK for multiple walls with UVLight Meshes

I just want to know the best way to UVMap all these walls. Each wall is a different mesh. Should I UVMap each wall then bring each wall into UDK then reassemble it there? Seems like a lot of work. I've UVMapped the exterior house walls. But upon going inside with so many walls i am thinking there has to be a better way to save time. If i recall if you combine all the interior walls then bring them in all together in UDK light map treats them all as one big UV map and looks funny. Well any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Just simply put what method would you guys do to create this house in maya and bring it to UDK. Piece by piece?

hello, I am just a beginner but im pretty sure you should UV map all individual meshes and as for light map I haven't got a clue (still trying to work that out myself) but I have a post in the MODELLING AND SKINNING section and some of the advice given to me could help you

Comment

I would just UV map as usual. If you keep you UVs in the 0 to 1 space then you can just create a copy of UV 0 to UV 1. If you tile then you will need to make a second UV with the UV's in 0 to 1. There is a took in the editor that can automaticly do this but I prefert to tweak things. Just depends on the time you want to spend

Comment

You must create UVs for every object.
        If your UV shells not overlapping, use 0 channel for lightmap.
        if yes, create second channel and layout it.

Comment

Yeah I'd UV map them for textures whichever way works for you, but try to create them in a way that lets you use a single material for any walls that should be similar.

Bringing them in as separate pieces is better for occlusion (as each wall be occluded if it isnt visible, but that would be a lot of separate lightmaps. You could also combine the walls of each room together (after setting up the UVs for textures and applying materials) then make a second UV set for each room with no overlapping for the light maps. Which ever method is easier on performance.

Comment

UV texturing is easy and fast for me. It's just UVLight mapping which takes time. For me to Automap each wall in maya then manual adjust padding for each mesh for a 64-128 Lightmap resolution is very time consuming. I guess that's the route i will have to go. Performance isn't a goal just quality.

It seems easier to just make all the walls with BSP brushes then apply a material as BSP walls are given automatic UVMaps.

Comment

BSPs, are resource intensive as well. If you don't want performance to be good, by all means do it that way. Lightmap creation is something you just have to deal with when using UDK. There's no easy route for everything. If you put in the time and effort, your work will benefit from it.

Comment

Working...
              X