snaping problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

snaping problem

I got a problem in with the snaping tool in UDK.

the problem is that I made some bilding pices in 3ds with a hight of 200uu and width of 100uu and the depth on 32uu. The import works fine but when i try to build with the pices I always end up with a gap.

Is there some way to change the snaping properties?

grid size is 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256... so, try to scale your meshes to that values.

Comment

well i tried to scale up my model up to 256 in 3ds but the wall got to high.

Comment

The standard for walls in most UE3/UDK projects is 256*256*8, this fits the snap grid and leaves the player room over their head if they start jumping. feel free to use something else, but just know that it wont fit the snap grid.

Comment

Those units are not ideal since using 200 will require you to use a grid size of 4 but using 100 will require you to use a grid size of 2, just to be able to build on the grid, so you're going really small there and it makes life difficult. If you made your 200 scale in stead 208, and your 100 to 112, then at least you can use a grid size of 8 which is much more manageable and your sizes there are still pretty close to your originals.

You don't have to stick with powers of 2 but you need to at least stick to numbers divide-able by the grid sizes so you can in fact build on the grid and it's recommended that you stick to bigger grid sizes the most that you can with major model pieces.

Comment

for example you can use 96 and 192 sizes, for 100 and 200.
            this supports grid size up to 32.

Comment

thanks for reply that made it much better to work in

Comment

Working...
              X