Modifying Zone Velocity in a physics volume in Kismet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modifying Zone Velocity in a physics volume in Kismet

I'm trying to emulate strong winds blowing a player around. The physics volume does the effect well enough, but I'm trying to get it to change directions through kismet. How can I modify Zone Velocity? I can't tell how to make the Modify Property change a vector. Also, how can I get the current Zone Velocities? The Get Property doesn't seem to have a way to get vectors, either.

I'm not that familiar with Kismet, but it sounds like you could make a Kismet node in UnrealScript that exposes the PhysicsVolume's properties in the node.

Comment

Thanks, but scripting isn't really an option for me for this project.

A work-around I've found is to place two overlapping dynamic physics volumes, set their zone velocities in opposite directions, then use some toggle nodes and active delays to make them swap back and forth between pushing and pulling the player. Mine is set up so both volumes are off, then the player enters a trigger and turns on one of the volumes, wait 5 seconds and turn it off, wait 5 seconds and turn on the other one, wait 5 seconds and turn it off. It goes 1 on, 1 off, 2 on, 2 off, repeat.

It works okay, but a problem I'm having now is that when the player is standing still inside the physics volume and the volume is toggled on, the player isn't affected by the zone velocity until I move. Does anyone know if there is a way to make the zone velocity effect the player without moving? Essentially, I want the physics volumes to push the player around a level without having the player to input anything.

Comment

Lower the friction value for the volume, that might help.

Comment

Nope, even all the way to 0, the player still has to move first

Comment

Working...
          X