Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving assets between packages and updating references in map?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving assets between packages and updating references in map?

One of the level designers on my project has asked the following, and I thought maybe someone around here could help us with that. Thanks!

There is going to come a time when I/we will need to move and or replace an asset in the scene with one from another file. A problem I will face is updating place holders with the real thing. This is somewhat easy with static meshes as I can select all of type and replace the browser instance with the new object. How ever I have found with prefabs that if I want to move it to the level file that I cannot do so without manually placing the prefab again once I have moved the prefab.

UDK has some new features that I am not too familiar with. One being the consolidate object tool.. I'm not sure if this holds the key to the problem, but 'm wondering if anyone has a proven method for moving an object to a new package and at the same time updating the reference of all instances that use it in the scene.

There are ways to move/copy the objects, but it didn't seem to update used references. Ill keep playing around with it.

I know that if you move objects between packages which the level open, it updates that map's references but if you multiple maps this most likely wont work.

Comment

You should be able to move and rename things in a package and all levels should work fine with the changes. If you empty a package it will still contain invisible redirectors so don't get rid of a package until all levels have been opened and resaved so that the redirectors can take effect.

Comment

I see, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by DGlow View Post
          You should be able to move and rename things in a package and all levels should work fine with the changes. If you empty a package it will still contain invisible redirectors so don't get rid of a package until all levels have been opened and resaved so that the redirectors can take effect.
          Or run this batch:
          Code:
          @echo off
          D:\UDK\UDK-2012-10\Binaries\Win32\UDK.exe fixupredirects
          It will go through all packages and maps and point everything that points to a redirector to what this redirector is ultimately pointing to instead.

Comment

oh snap, that's useful

Comment

Working...
            X