Dynamic Shadows on Spline Loft Actor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dynamic Shadows on Spline Loft Actor

Running into an issue where the dynamic shadows from my trees(speedtree) are not showing up on my road, which is a spline loft. anyone have any advice on how i may solve this?

Since you're in light preview I can't tell for sure but are you using a translucent material on that road model?. I'd guess that you might be. That would be one reason for the shadow not working.

For translucent material you have to enable a setting, I don't remember exactly if this is all it takes (haven't done this in a while) but I think the following was the setting that you need to enable in your material.

Translucency Inherit Dominant Shadows From Opaque - If true, the material should inherit the dynamic shadows that dynamic lights are casting on opaque and masked materials behind this material. This can be useful for ground meshes (like grass or foliage) that are using a translucent blend mode and depth biased alpha to hide seams.

Comment

hmm, it's a opaque material. i started playing around with anything in the material settings that looked like they might help, but had no luck of getting the shadows to show up. here is two more screenshots, one of the mat and one of the road in lit mode.

Comment

I think spline loft actor itself has issues with shadows, i've seen it mentioned in a couple of older threads before.

Comment

Too bad thats like the only half-decently viable tool to make roads if you dont want to model modular segments (which are really restricting in a way).

Comment

Originally posted by hunharibo View Post
            Too bad thats like the only half-decently viable tool to make roads if you dont want to model modular segments (which are really restricting in a way).
            yeah, guess it's back to the drawing board >.<

Comment

I looked at this a little bit since your post here and I found interestingly that while dynamic shadows from Dominant lights do not work, dynamic shadows from Movable lights do, as long as they are set to cast "Normal" shadows. Dominant lights only cast normal shadows though, so I'm not sure what's going on.

So, I wonder if there's some way to force a Dominant shadow to work in the config somewhere. If there's some setting allowing one to work and the other not, something disabled on Dominant lights to make them more efficient.. or whatever.

My guess is, in the end though, that the loft actors may just not be properly or fully implemented or this shadow thing is an oversight or a bug.

Comment

Originally posted by obihb View Post
                I looked at this a little bit since your post here and I found interestingly that while dynamic shadows from Dominant lights do not work, dynamic shadows from Movable lights do, as long as they are set to cast "Normal" shadows. Dominant lights only cast normal shadows though, so I'm not sure what's going on.

So, I wonder if there's some way to force a Dominant shadow to work in the config somewhere. If there's some setting allowing one to work and the other not, something disabled on Dominant lights to make them more efficient.. or whatever.

My guess is, in the end though, that the loft actors may just not be properly or fully implemented or this shadow thing is an oversight or a bug.
                wow, interesting. that's a big step forward in figuring out what going on. thanks for looking into that! ill hop back in tonight and play with it some more in hope of finding a solution.

Comment

having trouble recreating what you did obihb, still getting the same result with no shadows on the spline mesh. anyone else able to recreate? currently using 05-2012

Comment

Sorry, I did not say very specifically, it doesn't work with any Dominant light, not even movable one. The only movable lights it works with is spot and point.

Comment

Just to illustrate.

The first shot here is a PointLightMovable set to cast normal shadows. I don't have it selected so those are the actual in game shadows. It casts on everything.

This second shot is the light converted to a DominentPointLight. I have it selected to cast in editor dynamic shadows and it does not work on the loft.

My theory is that there are light specific properties and only the movable lights have the correct setup for this to work. Whether that is on purpose or by mistake or simply a bug, I have no idea.
                      Attached Files

Comment

thanks for the follow up

Also, for some reason i used a movable loft. this was the issue i ran into yesterday when trying to recreate. today i made a separate part of road as regular loft and it worked. thanks obihb for your help on this, saved me a lot of time and everyone else who contributed

Comment

wait till you find out you can't do collision on spline lofts

Comment

Was there ever a solution to this problem? I'm able to get PointLightMovable to cast shadows onto Spline Lofts, but am unable to get DominantDirectionalLights to cast shadows on SplineLofts.

Any assistance here would be appreciated. :-)

It should be noted, I have Object.Lightmass.bForceNoPrecomputedLighting=True in my world properties because I do not wish to use any static lighting or lightmass.

This may seem kind of silly, but I decided to take a PointLightMovable and put it in the sky, but extremely far away. I then increased its radius to an astronomically huge value. This works surprisingly well at casting shadows on the spline lofts... however, the shadows appear to be 100% black.

Any idea how to make the shadows blend with the level better? I already have a Skylight in the scene, but it seems to only blend well with the DominantDirectionalLight.

Screenshot:

Thanks,
                            -Neil

Comment

check in lightmass properties if Use global ilumination it's on and if it's not turn it on , and then the environment intensity to 1 , and make sure it's not black color.

Comment

Working...
                              X