Is this possible: Rotate entire level 180 degrees and invert gravity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Oh, thanks man. I'll definitely take a look at it. What you're describing is pretty much what I decided I was going to try out. I looked some more into actually messing with gravity and changing the player cameras and whatnot, but it was just too far out there.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I've actually made a version that rotates the world (made up of dynamic props and dynamic lights) instead of rotating the player. Mostly because I never figured out how to make it work and I only had Kismet to work with because starting out with UScript seems like a very daunting task.

If you want to check it out, I have a youtube link here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2Xx86jmDHQ where I explain how it works. There are also links to my example maps. Mapping for this is a ***** though because you have to keep parenting every prop to a master prop and keep track of object lists. I'm proud that I made it work from scratch but I'm not sure that anyone else can use it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by TorQueMoD View Post
    Also Prey was an Unreal engine game and it had inverted gravity and the ability to walk completely around a globe upside down.
    I thought Prey was Id Tech 4. Either way, I agree this is a very daunting task alone. That is especially true if you are going to be learning UScript from scratch as you go.

This thread might help. Didn't have a chance to read through all of it though...gots work to do!!
    http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/...-gravity/page2

Good luck with the project though!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Oh, well, ****. He doesn't link to the code, he links to what he'll trade for the code. Bummer. At least I know something like that is possible. Thanks either way.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Oh wow. Thanks so much, man. I'll definitely take a look at that and see what I can make of it. Great work!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Here's a video showcasing the gravity switch and the guy links to his source code:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFEu6...9759267D5FB605

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yeah, that's what they were saying above my post. I just posted with a fairly straight forward way of how to actually have the objects themselves move if that's what you were going to go for.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by JessieG View Post
    To actually have every object rotate, they would all need to be movers, which means dynamic lighting all around. Depending on the size of the level that could be a big problem.

If its not too big of an issue, you could always add a cube to the middle of the level, set it to be hidden in game, attach every object to it in kismet, and rotate the single cube 180 degrees. Though I don't know how well that works on larger scenes. It would also be somewhat of a pain to set up if you have a lot of objects (every light would also need to be moveable).
    I don't plan for it to be too huge. I did see the problem with having to use dynamic lighting if flipping the entire level.

Other than making things movers is there a way to achieve the effect by flipping just the player perspective and gravity and leaving everything static.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    To actually have every object rotate, they would all need to be movers, which means dynamic lighting all around. Depending on the size of the level that could be a big problem.

If its not too big of an issue, you could always add a cube to the middle of the level, set it to be hidden in game, attach every object to it in kismet, and rotate the single cube 180 degrees. Though I don't know how well that works on larger scenes. It would also be somewhat of a pain to set up if you have a lot of objects (every light would also need to be moveable).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The game in the link above is just moving meshes and things, which is acting as the level, but isn't "the level." As long as you build the ground, walls, etc. out of your meshes, you can use Kismet and triggers to rotate the playing field. If you must use brushes, landscape, etc., then you are talking about a much harder job.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    technically speaking its possible as I've seen something similar done in another project:

Also Prey was an Unreal engine game and it had inverted gravity and the ability to walk completely around a globe upside down.
    I know this isn't much help but that's some very complicated stuff you want to do and I wouldn't dare try to take it on by yourself. I doubt many people in the community here would be able to help you figure it out.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yeah, that's what I was saying, you can adjust the world gravity easily and the camera, but I think the character would still be oriented the same direction, just falling the other way.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I guess it wouldn't even be necessary to flip the level, flipping the player perspective/control and inverting gravity would essentially have the same general effect, just not the grandeur of having the entire level rotate.

I still have no idea how to pull that off, though.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    You can change gravity and the camera pretty easily, I don't know about the character though.

Leave a comment:

• Is this possible: Rotate entire level 180 degrees and invert gravity

I'm trying to come up with a way to practice with UDK and creating some not terrible meshes for a school project. I'm not sure how complicated this would be or if it would be worth it to try (if it is even a viable mechanic).

What I wanted to know is if there was a way to trigger a level to somehow rotate 180 degrees on an axis so the level is upside down (while playing).

Some of the huge complications I can see (and I'm sure there are TONS I don't)
    *Inverting gravity
    *Changing player POV/control
    *Edit: When I think about it I assume some sort of animation to transition from start to end would be required as well

This is other than trying to design the layout/lighting to work flipped either way.

Can anyone shed light on this for me? If you can point me to some references/tutorials that exist I would appreciate it. I'm not too familiar with scripting in UDK, but I'm willing to learn as much as possible if it is required.

Thanks,

Louis

(Note: I tried to search for this but I always have a hard time finding keywords when the issue seems specific for me)
Working...
X