Transparent Texture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transparent Texture

Does anyone know of a good tutorial on how to create a texture and import it so that the black area on my art is transparent. With a material I got it figured out but if I want to go directly to a texture on import my blacks are just black and not transparent. Been looking around for awhile. Thanks

no matter what you do, even with a transparent texture, it won't be transparent until you instruct the material what it should use as the alpha channel. you are better off creating an actual alpha channel on your texture and then connecting that to opacity in your material. don't forget to set the correct blend mode too.

sorry I read your post wrong. but you still need an alpha channel on the texture to get what you are asking. save it in a proper format such as png that is compatible with full alpha transparency.

Comment

Ok, now I read somewhere that it needs to be 32 bit, is that correct? Thank you for your previous reply.

Comment

You can work in "8 bits per channel" mode to create the image in Photoshop at least, it saves it as 32 bit automatically and I believe only 32 bit image files can have a proper full alpha yes.

Comment

If you save out a 32 bit image like a targa, that will NOT make the black background automatically be transparent. You need to save an image in the alpha channel of your 32 bit texture that has black for what you want to be transparent and white for what you want to be visible. You then plug the white node of the texture (which is your alpha channel) into the opacity slot of the material and change the material type to BLEND_Masked.

The process for .png's might be different but I only use targa so I don't know for sure.

Comment

I never meant to imply 32 bit would make his blacks transparent, only that it is necessary. To be clear, you can have alpha using lower, but it might not look right and introduce banding artifacts etc if it's supposed to be complex.

Comment

I think this was not adressed to you but Fireguy. People sometimes think that it's possible to automatically mask off areas.

Comment

Working...
              X