Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to load levels? Not looking for an "open world" type of loading.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to load levels? Not looking for an "open world" type of loading.

Hi! We're a group of students currently working on a game project using UDK. We are implementing levels that can be accessed through a hub level.
    During development, we are using the "open" console command to switch between separate levels, but I've read some and apparently it's a bad way to do it.
    I've been looking for better options, but the only thing I've found is level streaming, which seems to be aimed at levels that use an "open world" kind of solution. That's not an alternative in our case - we use fast traveling.

I don't mind using the "open" command as long as it works, but since it's loading between .udk-files I'm getting to wondering what will happen when we package the game? Will the other, interconnected levels automatically be put into the package?

Any suggestions/tips? Thanks in advance

When you finally cook the game you'll include all the maps in your game(if you check frontend you'll see what i mean), and they will load whenever they are supposed to.

Btw, i think you can use multiple levels in the same map and have them load via kismet, without going through all the console command stuff and seeing the loading screen but i haven't tried it myself. There are threads about it somewhere if you search the forum.

Comment

Thank you so much for your quick answer

Comment

Working...
      X